mtbr member
    Aug 2011

An 1/8 chain is the same as a 3/32 just wider so no stronger?

I was going to get a bmx crank with a 1/8 chain since it comes with an 1/8 sprocket but I have noticed here that some think the 1/8 is over kill. I started thinking about the two chains and thought if you can run an 1/8 chain on a 3/32 cog then the pins and rollers must be the same diameter with the pins only being wider and the plates almost the same size. This would almost make the 1/8 chain weaker because the pins have more twist put on them as they get longer. Just a thought.
    2011 Kona unit with some carbon.

Birthday Collector
    Pitch - distance between the center of the pins - is the same. 1/8" has wider bushings around the pins, and the teeth on the corresponding cogs/rings are wider also - the chain is not really any stronger in a tensile-strength measurement - but the wider bushing/tooth interface tends to make the drivetrain last longer. If you maintain your chains the same, and use the same quality of cogs/rings, the 1/8" will take longer to wear out the teeth as there is more material that needs to be deformed. 3/32" derailleur chains also tend to have more lateral flex, so if your chain tension is not "snug" you can have some possibility to toss the chain easier. Not too likely but possible
    R.I.P. Corky 10/97-4/09
    Disclaimer: I sell and repair bikes for a living
    http://www.endlesscyclesonline.com

one chain loop
    this topic can be argued pretty much everyday and can yield different outcome every time we bring it up.

i do believe that there are good 1/8" and 3/32" chains and bad ones too.

chain breaks. bad installation, poor chainline, poor chain tension, lack of maintenance or just because its a bad chain.

it makes more sense to use 1/8 chain on 1/8 drivetrain, same with 3/32. so i don't think there's an argument here, unless someone insists that one size is the standard and the other is mediocre.
    Last edited by fishcreek; 01-14-2012 at 08:31 PM.
    everything sucks but my vacuum cleaner.

Members who have read this thread: 0