I know nothing
    Jan 2009

1/8 chain on 3/32 sprocket: good, ok or bad?

What do you think of this combination: 1/8 chain on 3/32 sprocket and chainwheel?

I bought chain (gold, see pic) and sprocket from the same (web)shop and they knew it was going to be for use together. My bike mech asked why I wanted to use such a wide chain with my narrow sprocket...
    I bought the silver chain (see other pic) from him instead. Seems like a more logical combo to me. Should I try to get the webshop to take the gold chain back. It was expensive, over 30.

What do you guys think?

And can anyone please tell me how to get the pictures IN the post, instead of under it. I've searched the forum but not found any clues.

Thanks
    onkel
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    No problem at all...I do the same. If you havn't a tensioner or derailleur to foul with the wider 1/8th...it works.

mtbr member
    it depends (heavily) on the cog. I ran a 1/8" kmc z410 on a 3/32 surly cog for about 6 months without dropping the chain once... same chain would not stay on a boone cog for more than about a mile. It was really irritating. Switched to a 3/32 chain and after multiple adjustments, finally got it right.

Just ride it the way you've got it and if no problems then you're set. Good luck.

I know nothing
    Jan 2009
    Ok, thanks guys.

I interpret this as "It may work, even if it's not optimal - but you never know until you try it."

So... I'll try and return the chain. If they won't accept that, no biggie, I'll keep it for a future project or give it to some poor bmx kid who wants a blingy bike.

onkel

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I've done it a lot on multiple bikes with multiple setups and have never ever had a problem.

nobody
    For those of you who have done this, does the same go for the front chain ring (I'm assuming they make 1/8-in chain rings)?

I'm thinking of putting together a SS commuter mostly from spare parts I have taking up space in the garage and I know the only front chain rings I have are from geared bikes which I would think would be 3/32.

If I were to buy front ring, cog and chain would I be better off with 1/8-in all around?
    I'm what Willis was talkin' about