mtbr member
    Mar 2013

1/8 chain with a 3/32 cog

will there be any issues running a 1/8 chain with a 3/32 cog. also what chain would you recommend?

1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Nov 2009
    I've been wondering about this too...I have a 1/8 ring and chain I want to use but will probably get an WI eno freewheel which is 3/32 I think...I haven't seen anywhere that they make a 1/8 which I think is strange. The combo didn't work so well on my Rohloff...still worked but was a little noisy

mtbr member
    I don't think there are any specific issues that would prevent this from working provided the tension was kept just right, etc. I've actually done this before in a pinch. I busted one chain, and had a spare for a different bike, so I used that to go for a ride before the replacement chain came in at my LBS. It does make a little extra noise, and it will walk back and forth on the cogs some. My concerns with doing it long term would be uneven wear causing the early demise of either the chain or the cogs. Like I said, nothing specific preventing this from working, but I'm not sure I'd do it long term.

mtbr member
    nope. none. don't try to do it the other way around though. it doesn't work.

Edit: i like the sram pc7x when i can find it

mtbr member
    I've run 1/8 chains with 3/32 sprockets without any issues. Lots of others say the same. If there is an issue with the drivetrain, it's likely to be something else than sprocket width.

undercover brother
    Nope, been running a 1/8 chain on my 3/32 gears for about a year now.

mtbr member

Re: 1/8 chain with a 3/32 cog

Working ok for me over year and a half now.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Why not just use the correct chain?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    Why not just use the correct chain?
    i have a profile chainring that i was planning on using

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    I don't think there are any specific issues that would prevent this from working provided the tension was kept just right, etc. I've actually done this before in a pinch. I busted one chain, and had a spare for a different bike, so I used that to go for a ride before the replacement chain came in at my LBS. It does make a little extra noise, and it will walk back and forth on the cogs some. My concerns with doing it long term would be uneven wear causing the early demise of either the chain or the cogs. Like I said, nothing specific preventing this from working, but I'm not sure I'd do it long term.
    yah i've read other comments about extra noise. is the noise that noticeable? does it sound like a grinding noise?

mtbr member

Re: 1/8 chain with a 3/32 cog

I hear like a slight skip noise here and there. Nothing crazy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Deez66 View Post
    i have a profile chainring that i was planning on using
    Is that a 1/8? ideally everything should match.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Is that a 1/8? ideally everything should match.
    yes it is 1/8

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

yes it is 1/8
    Sounds like you need a 1/8 rear cog now.

mtbr member
    Drivetrain noise is more dependent on straight chainline, chain quality and lubrication. With those things in order a 1/8 chainring and chain with a 3/32 sprocket is as quiet as anything.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Saul Lumikko View Post
    Drivetrain noise is more dependent on straight chainline, chain quality and lubrication. With those things in order a 1/8 chainring and chain with a 3/32 sprocket is as quiet as anything.
    what chain would you recommend? btw its for a 29er.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    thanks for all the info guys.... lots of good stuff

mtbr member
    yah i've read other comments about extra noise. is the noise that noticeable? does it sound like a grinding noise?
    No, it's not a grinding noise. What I heard was more of a chattering noise. Now, keep in mind, that could be because it was a new chain on an old set of cogs. It's possible that the year's worth of wear on the cogs was simply causing some oddity in the way the chain was running over them.

1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    No, it's not a grinding noise. What I heard was more of a chattering noise. Now, keep in mind, that could be because it was a new chain on an old set of cogs. It's possible that the year's worth of wear on the cogs was simply causing some oddity in the way the chain was running over them.
    Mine too...like you could hear each roller in the chain slapping each tooth in the cog.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

what chain would you recommend? btw its for a 29er.
    Something made for 29ers, the 26er chains won't work.

undercover brother
    Something made for 29ers, the 26er chains won't work.
    I'm hoping someday they will upgrade the technology of the 26er chain... its not fair that the 29er chains are just so much better...

mtbr member
    I read this awhile back on the Surly info page and agree wholeheartedly so rather than plagiarize I'll just copy and paste.

4. 1/2x1/8" chains vs. 1/2x3/32" chains. 1/2x1/8" chains suck. Run whatever you want, but bigger isn't better here. Yeah, they're wider, but according to manufacturer-supplied data, they're not stronger and they are definitely not of better quality. Multi-speed drivetrains is where the bucks are at, and chains that work on such drivetrains are where the manufacturers of chains showcase their innovations and developments in quality. The rollers are better, the plates are better, the pins are stronger, and the construction method (riveting procedure) is better on all multi-speed 3/32" chains. I guess if you grind your chainring and chain down the handrail every night at the local pub, a bigger 1/2x1/8 " chain will last longer, but most of us don't and it won't.

mtbr member
    Thats a good point but the amount of contact area between the pins and the plate is immense on a 1/8th chain. Also the fact that track sprinters put down more strength than road racers pushing 10/11 speed drivetrains makes me think otherwise in actual use.

I've never seen a broken KMC Kool 710 chain. Heavy but indestructable.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    I read this awhile back on the Surly info page and agree wholeheartedly so rather than plagiarize I'll just copy and paste.

4. 1/2x1/8" chains vs. 1/2x3/32" chains. 1/2x1/8" chains suck. Run whatever you want, but bigger isn't better here. Yeah, they're wider, but according to manufacturer-supplied data, they're not stronger and they are definitely not of better quality. Multi-speed drivetrains is where the bucks are at, and chains that work on such drivetrains are where the manufacturers of chains showcase their innovations and developments in quality. The rollers are better, the plates are better, the pins are stronger, and the construction method (riveting procedure) is better on all multi-speed 3/32" chains. I guess if you grind your chainring and chain down the handrail every night at the local pub, a bigger 1/2x1/8 " chain will last longer, but most of us don't and it won't.
    But all the cool hipster kids use 1/8 and they're got to be right! All them pretty colors too.

1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Nov 2009
    But all the cool hipster kids use 1/8 and they're got to be right! All them pretty colors too.
    I am sure there is truth to that. I run 3/32 on my rohloff because there is not too much choice. The older style 8 spd chains are plenty wide and have to be lighter than a SS chain. Strength wise, it is debateable. Rohloff was famous for their chain making...taught Campag how to make them virtually. They have ceased the production of their chain but will start production of a SS/IGH chain. Their reasoning is that the move to 10 and 11 spd chains has compromised the strength and longevity of standard style chains, and they don't want to compete in that market. They feel they can make a better quality chain in the S format. Also, it's not just about the chain. I hope to get better life out of the rings and sprockets with extra width.