J_T
    Pale-ale-ontologist

1/8'' or 3/32'' Chain for my conversion?

Complete newbie here but I've been lurking this site for a few weeks. I have to say, after reading all of your posts and having some interest in the Single Speed idea, I'm taking the plunge. All of the banter and tech info I've found here has really fanned the spark into an inferno. Thanks to everyone.

I'm converting my X Large Ibis Ti Mojo, the earlier triple butted version. Shimano M952 180mm cranks w/ Jericho 33t Suffering (scored the ring way cheap too!) Building up a White Ind Eno eccentric w/ 19t freewheel.
    My obvious question is chain selection. Being a big guy with a mashing riding style, 6'4'' 200lb I'll be looking for strength and I really like the bling look of the SRAM PC7X matched with the Ti frame - but is 1/8'' chain the right choice for this set up?
    If 3/32'' is a better choice, is there something similar in looks and strength that will set this off?

As you can see I'm sick with this already. I fear that my Superlight may never see the trails again.

Ebo
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I put a 3/32 Sram Pc 68 on my convert. Works well, not too pricey, good durability.

all hail der Fuhrer Bush
    Mar 2004

width of cog? ring?

if your chainring and cog are designed for 1/8" use that. If they want 3/32" use that. Typical 1/8" BMX chains are not stronger than typical 3/32" derailleur chains, that is a myth. If properly installed, chains virtually never break from straight-line load. It's side loading that kills most chains, which shouldn't be a problem unless you got weird chainline or the chain derails and gets caught somehow while you continue pedaling. Keep an eye on the rollers, however, I have noticed they tend to split more often on SS and FG applications.
    You can run a 1/8" chain on 3/32" teeth but it will not run as quietly.
    If you think you really need a stronger than than normal folk, get an Izumi Keirin-certified track chain from someplace that sells hi end track stuff. It ain't cheap, and I think it's overkill for your use, but if it helps you slee at night.
    Don't pay the $85 fee to ride land you own! Resist!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Being a masher myself (6'2" 200), I at first used some of the 3/32 SRAM stuff (PC58/59's). After 3 busted powerlinks (all of them snapped in half at the same point) I now have a 1/8 SRAM on the Karate Monkey. Haven't had any problems yet. Back when I rode gears, I thought the powerlinks were the best thing since sliced bread but they don't seem to hold up to SS'ing very well. From what I remember, all of the SRAM chains have the same rated max tensile strength but the powerlinks are literally, a weak link.