Happy trails

1/2 chain on standard (3/32?) cog and ring?

I have a NIB 1/2"x1/8' chain laying around.I have a SS cog on the rear and a non-ramped DH style ring up front.Both are for the narrower chain.Can the wider chain be used without any bad things happening?
    Aaron

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I haven't gone on too many rides but, I ran a 1/8 chain on 3/32 gears without realizing it. I honestly just slapped everything together and went. I guess I was too eager to get the SS rolling I didn't notice the side-to-side play the chain had with the gears.

However, I had no issues running 1/8 chain on 3/32 gears. I did however have a good bit of noise, but no problems.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    It does not matter. You are just fine.

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    i've run it that way for years, but if you replace your cogs and rings, i would go with 1/8" because the extra surface area will increase the lifespan by alot. If you already have the 1/8" chain, why the hell not, right?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    It works just fine. Especially with thicker SS cogs and rings with no ramps or pins.

Another Retro Grouch
    I bought a nice SS/6 speed 3/32 chain for less than $10, how much are you saving? I'd keep the 1/8 chain around for when a friend needs a Typhoon or StingRay chain....

lives to ride
    Feb 2005
    I've done it before. No real issues but it did seem to wear out the rear cog quicker than normal.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by FATTRAXX
    I have a NIB 1/2"x1/8' chain laying around.I have a SS cog on the rear and a non-ramped DH style ring up front.Both are for the narrower chain.Can the wider chain be used without any bad things happening?
    I did that once, but the chain would make noise sliding side to side. Mostly just irritating, not a major issue. Plus I was running a bash guard and had to shim it out to keep it clear of the chain. YMMV.