Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The 1%ers

smell the saddle...

The 1%ers

I read all these stats on cycling commuting, increased general cycling activity, percentages of new city bike lanes, etc. Maybe it’s a bit more abundant since its Bike Month. However, has anyone seen any stats on internal percentages for things that we could actually use? I know MTBR posts polls from time to time, but they never seem all that important (last poll was 'would you pay a nominal fee for access' and now 'do you have any carbon/Ti on your bike?').

How ‘bout some real stats, like among the community x% of us ride XC, x% of us ride single-speed, x% of us ride fully rigid. Maybe, it’s just me but I find stuff like that interesting. Also, if I was retailer/manufactor I would want to know what percentage of riders were using my components. Would it be so hard to include a quick survey sheet with the Spam email that MTBR already sends out? I mean this is a review site, but as far as I know there is no place that compiles any of these reviews to overall percentage stats. Of course, I’m not disgruntle as much as I am overly curious.

The motorcycle outlaws consider themselves the “1%ers” (i.e. about only 1% of the riders are really outlaws – although every over-aged fat law abiding citizen wears those patches on their vests, ha!) I’d be very curious to know what percentage the single-speeders are of the cycling community (certainly more than 1%, I hope).

Anyhow, just curious on everyone’s input on the subject. Maybe we can kick up a little dialog here and MTBR will follow with a survey of sorts (hell, I’d be happy to help write it). I’m positive the retail would embrace the idea also.

My $0.02 or < 1%.

human dehumidifier
    Quote Originally Posted by stumonky
    My $0.02 or < 1%.
    Math fail, 2 cents is 2 per cent

I wouldn't want to be one of those with a 1% patch on and have to explain it to a real 1%er. They're not like the bad guys in "Wild Hogs" ...
    When you get older, much of your hate comes from knowledge and experience, which is why really old people hate everyone

WNC Native
    That would be neat to see, but it would have to have quite a few questions to get a true reading. You would have questions such as :
    Do you ride SS?
    Do you ride geared?
    What percentage of time do you ride SS?
    What percentage of time do you ride geared?
    Same thing with rigid, HT, FS
    etc....

However I think there is more than 1% on SS.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

Linoleum Knife
    Quote Originally Posted by wv_bob
    Math fail, 2 cents is 2 per cent
    Maybe he's part of the 1% that uses these...

Statistics are subjective. You can make numbers support any point you are trying to justify.

smell the saddle...
    Quote Originally Posted by forkboy

Statistics are subjective. You can make numbers support any point you are trying to justify.
    Hey Bob, I was too quick to post, my less than 1 should have been "2" (since there is no symbol for less than or equal to). For what it's worth I just finished a math class as the top seed.

Memory is subjective, fact is far less opinionated (go watch the movie Memento) however, I can appreciate your sentiment of polls shaped to base opinions and/or point. Without getting deep into the subject matter of statistics (I am savvier in geometry anyhow) my idea was based on general curiosity for more ‘entertaining purposes’. No agenda, no hype. There are stats littered everywhere outside of us but not as much internal specifics.

mtbr member

2 cents is 2% of a dollar. Is that subjective?

mtbr member
    Hey Bob, I was too quick to post, my less than 1 should have been "2" (since there is no symbol for less than or equal to). For what it's worth I just finished a math class as the top seed.

Memory is subjective, fact is far less opinionated (go watch the movie Memento) however, I can appreciate your sentiment of polls shaped to base opinions and/or point. Without getting deep into the subject matter of statistics (I am savvier in geometry anyhow) my idea was based on general curiosity for more ‘entertaining purposes’. No agenda, no hype. There are stats littered everywhere outside of us but not as much internal specifics.
    Somehow, I don't think MTBR is the place for a debate on epistimology

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    my guess is that's closer to 10% judging by how many singlespeeders i meet at races when i set up a booth, and how many i see on the trail.

Linoleum Knife
    Quote Originally Posted by gjenkins@
    2 cents is 2% of a dollar. Is that subjective?
    2c is 1% of $2

It's subjective in that the OP said it was 1%, was corrected that it was 2%, but no one ever says WHAT it is 1 or 2% OF.

And less than/equal to is <=

And this thread sucks 12%.

smell the saddle...
    gjenkins@ - You are probably right!

forkboy - actually it's "≤" & thanks for the flame.

Chronic 1st-timer
    my bike is equal to 12% of my mass
    Les grimpées, je m'en fou!

Linoleum Knife
    forkboy - actually it's "≤" & thanks for the flame.
    I wasn't flaming you - I was actually supporting you.

It's ≤ if you are talking about high school algebra.

And it's also <= if you are talking about programming language.

My whole point was that both can be correct and both can be wrong when you don't define the frame of reference....

And now this thread sucks 23%.

Ovaries on the Outside
    And now this thread sucks 23%.
    Still 82% better than a lot of threads! Woo!

I don't see too many SSers. Last ride maybe two (including myself) out of 14. And so far this year, he's the only other SSer I've seen on the trails out of a good 20-30 riders.

I'll bring a calculator with me from now on and keep mashing numbers when I'm not mashing an uphill.

Jul 2006
    i'd put it at around 10% for Southern California, judging by racer turnouts and what i see on the trails.
    Now if you narrow it down to fairly regular mountain bikers, i'd push it closer to 20% or even more.

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Must be a slow day at work...

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I read all these stats on cycling commuting, increased general cycling activity, percentages of new city bike lanes, etc. Maybe it’s a bit more abundant since its Bike Month. However, has anyone seen any stats on internal percentages for things that we could actually use? I know MTBR posts polls from time to time, but they never seem all that important (last poll was 'would you pay a nominal fee for access' and now 'do you have any carbon/Ti on your bike?').

How ‘bout some real stats, like among the community x% of us ride XC, x% of us ride single-speed, x% of us ride fully rigid. Maybe, it’s just me but I find stuff like that interesting. Also, if I was retailer/manufactor I would want to know what percentage of riders were using my components. Would it be so hard to include a quick survey sheet with the Spam email that MTBR already sends out? I mean this is a review site, but as far as I know there is no place that compiles any of these reviews to overall percentage stats. Of course, I’m not disgruntle as much as I am overly curious.

The motorcycle outlaws consider themselves the “1%ers” (i.e. about only 1% of the riders are really outlaws – although every over-aged fat law abiding citizen wears those patches on their vests, ha!) I’d be very curious to know what percentage the single-speeders are of the cycling community (certainly more than 1%, I hope).

Yeah, the world is full of poseurs, and you can usually tell the diletantes by the amount that they express their affiliation with a particular discipline.............IME

Anyhow, just curious on everyone’s input on the subject. Maybe we can kick up a little dialog here and MTBR will follow with a survey of sorts (hell, I’d be happy to help write it). I’m positive the retail would embrace the idea also.

My own opinion is that SS evolved from frugality, and function, ie pragmatism; like all 'new and cool' pursuits, it is being influenced negatively with the advent of the corporate profit motive. I understand there is a market for 4K SS frames and 1K wheelsets, but the original point (again, IMO) of SS was to be under the radar of the corporate machine because the ethos of the SS movement has it's roots in counter culture. The point being, that the numbers you are asking for should be further broken down into 'old school' vs 'new school' SS philosophy. More than the count, you should be concerned with the underlying motivation for the participation (the challenge, cross training, bored_trying something new, monetary concerns, technology/gear concerns, or just feel the need to have a retail therapy moment).

My $0.02 or < 1%.
    If you view the information more in the context of sociological impact, instead of a marketing/retail question and I think you might find some intriguing facts about 'personalities'.
    Of course, this is MTBR, so there will likely be a flurry of internet **** talking and retatrded flaming to derail any opportunity to have a discussion....................which is half the reason most of us are here, so let's go
    EricN
    The flood of fixed gear bikes, small t-shirts, and womens jeans will saturate craigslist

smell the saddle...
    mrsalty – Great reply. The act of discussion over the actual number stats was part of my reason for posting (I honestly didn’t think stats would be achievable). Some of the broken down categories you pointed out, opens up an entire array of endless dialog. We often read about “Why single-speed” (could easily define that question as sociological & psychological aspects) and obviously from the traffic in this section there is a whole lot of us, why and what’s our justification defined by stats (or more discussion in this case), etc. seems fairly interesting to me. More so than my initial point of marketing strategies (which was more of adding ploy to add further interest). We could all agree we are out-numbered by the geared, even so I think there is much more of us than we probably know (some purist and old school would balk at the thought of coming on this forum and discussing this thread in the first place albeit).

Maybe it’s just a dumb idea (surely I have plenty of those) but I am sort of an information junkie and most of the SSer’s around here like nothing more than conversing on anything SS and even more to find more like us. There are certainly no 4k SS frames here and most of us are purist by definition (no use for suspension in most places in the far south). Perhaps, my initial post was way off and I didn’t expect the legitimacy to reference of 1% and/or combination to the pun of “my $0.02” but I suppose you expect that on the forum.

Speaking of roots and no use for the corporate machine, someone pointed me to this quote recently which I think is quite interesting given it was said in 1902:

"I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft... As for me, give me a fixed gear!" -Henri Desgrange

mtbr member
    "The motorcycle outlaws consider themselves the “1%ers” (i.e. about only 1% of the riders are really outlaws – although every over-aged fat law abiding citizen wears those patches on their vests, ha!)"

Not only is that a gross exaggeration, but if ANY over-aged fat law abiding citizen rider wore a diamond 1% patch and came across a three patched MC member, it would be the last time he wore that patch. So don't speak of what you don't know.

Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by slacks
    "The motorcycle outlaws consider themselves the “1%ers” (i.e. about only 1% of the riders are really outlaws – although every over-aged fat law abiding citizen wears those patches on their vests, ha!)"

Not only is that a gross exaggeration, but if ANY over-aged fat law abiding citizen rider wore a diamond 1% patch and came across a three patched MC member, it would be the last time he wore that patch. So don't speak of what you don't know.
    who could be scared of a guy in assless chaps.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ISuckAtRiding
    who could be scared of a guy in assless chaps.
    I am asslesschapaphobic.

Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by cruso414
    I am asslesschapaphobic.
    I guess i am too, but for other reasons.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ISuckAtRiding
    I guess i am too, but for other reasons.
    hmmmmmmmmmm.............

(not that theres' anything wrong with that)

Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by cruso414

(not that theres' anything wrong with that)

Jerry and George wouldnt think so. Kramer might.

mtbr member

4 out of 5 people would agree... ^^^
    "What do I know of You who spoke me into motion? Where have I even stood but along the shore of Your ocean?"

HTFU and Ride
    84.332% of all statistics are made up on the spot...

or was it 34.69%
    Winter is coming.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast