mtbr member
    Sep 2009

09 Scott Scale 40 conversion

So my 4.5 year old is starting to get into trail riding with his little bmx bike. The other day when we were riding, he asked why I had gears and he didn't. I really didn't have a good answer for him. According to him, he doesn't need them, why do I? A valid point I think. So my 1x9 has become a single speed. And....I found the magic gear Next up is getting rid of the Reba.

A question though...can I safely get rid of the derailleur hanger? In looking at the dropouts, the drive side is narrower and I don't want to compromise the strength of it for purely cosmetic reasons.

09 Scott Scale 40 conversion-photo.jpg
    09 Scott Scale 40 conversion-cameraawesomephoto.jpg

And just for fun, a couple of pics of the boy "catching air" as he puts it. He crashed on the third attempt. After the crash, he told me maybe it was time for him to get a "proper mountain bike".

09 Scott Scale 40 conversion-photo1.jpg
    09 Scott Scale 40 conversion-photo2.jpg

The need for singlespeed
    Dad, my bike doesn't have a bashguard. Why do you need one?

Looks like you've got a singlespeed prodigy there! And a very nice lawn.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by zaskaranddriver View Post
    Dad, my bike doesn't have a bashguard. Why do you need one?

Looks like you've got a singlespeed prodigy there! And a very nice lawn.

I know....remnants from the 1x9 mostly to make sure the chain didn't hop off to the outside. Hitting the LBS today to get some SS chainring bolts.

He's got his first race this weekend. Insists he's going to win. I'm trying not to push the biking too much, but it's hard not to. Trails twice a week at least.

The lawn I can't take credit for...that's my wife's baby. I'll pass along the compliment though.

Gimme free stuff
    I like the gold of the bash guard! IMO keep it!
    and I see no reason to get rid of the hanger. I wouldn't have even noticed if it wasn't your question.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    P.S. The true SSer's motto: "Do it anyway."
    Kona Process 134DL
    Misfit DiSSent 29er [FOR SALE]
    Dawes Deadeye [FOR SALE]

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    What gear combo are you running?

That's REEAAALLLL Nice

Nice Chain Tension

Seemana,
    Are you running a half link? You achieved a nice chain tension.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    32x16 at the moment....no tensioner, no half link. It worked out perfect assuming that gearing works for me. When I had it set up as a 1x9, I found myself on the 17 tooth cog most of the time. I'm thinking the 16 should be fine, but if not, I'll have to get out the tensioner.

We've had rain pretty much every day since I got this done. Trails need to dry out before I can try it out anywhere other than the neighborhood. Hopefully sometime this weekend.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Because your hanger is replaceable, sure go ahead and cut it off. If you go back to gears or need to run a tensioner you can always buy a replacement (you might want to make sure of the part # before you begin hacking away).

mtbr member
    Yeah, you could slice the hanger part off at the bottom, but you definitely don't want to run the frame without the replaceable dropout 'face' in place. The strength of the dropout is based on the assumption that the little replaceable piece will be in place. Personally, I would just leave it as is.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Yep. Leave the hanger on there. And unless you really have your heart set on going rigid, I'd keep the reba too.

Nice looking bike by the way...

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by wjphillips View Post
    Yep. Leave the hanger on there. And unless you really have your heart set on going rigid, I'd keep the reba too.

Nice looking bike by the way...

Thanks! I'll definitely be keeping the hanger on. I figured it was part of the structural strength and you all have confirmed that. Not going to cut it off and have to buy a new one if I ever want to go back to the 1x9 just for a little improvement in the look.

The Reba will stay on for now. At some point, I would like to try out the rigid, but I'm in no hurry. I'll wait til I find a smoking deal on a fork.

I did take the bashguard off over the weekend. I like the look much better without.

Thanks for all the comments!