mtbr member
    Jul 2009

09 Monocog 29er - Still Dinglespeedable?

Looking at converting my 09 Monocog into a dingle speed but looking at the rear hub it looks like it may be a bit tight. LBS isn't quite sure it'd be possible to fit another cog on there but I know a few people have done it in the past with a couple of small spacers (is the dingle cog even an option here?) but the last reference I've seen of that was 07.

Anyone done this recently? How do I go about it? Can I do it with the stock hub?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I did it on my 08 MC, I used a 9spd spacer and a second Cog. The lock ring just had enough room. How much thread is left on the outside of your lock ring now? If it's around 5mm, should be enough to fit a 9sp spacer and cog in.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Sweet, thank you! Looks like I've got 5mm of thread left. Going to head down to the LBS today and get that sucker on there.

human dehumidifier
    Quote Originally Posted by bnferguson
    Going to head down to the LBS today and get that sucker on there.
    Your LBS is open on Sunday? Cool
    I Just Wasn't Made For These Times

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by wv_bob
    Your LBS is open on Sunday? Cool
    Yup! Quite a few of them are around here, but the best one (the more Mountain Bike, 29er/singlespeed friendly one) just started doing it this year I think. Pretty sweet.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Just as an update, hit the LBS and we got a 9 speed and an 8 speed (I think) spacer on there along with the cog. No problems at all, and now some options as far as chainline goes. It was a Dimension cog. Results could be different with the Surly and the Rennen cogs (I know the Rennen ones are supposed to be fatter at the base, not sure on Surly).

Thanks for the help. Now to find a 38T 4-bolt chain ring!