Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2012

'08 Monocog Flight Make-Over (Lots of Pics)

Hey guys, So I have been wanting to freshen up my Monocog Flight for some time now, but until recently the weather had been too good for me to justify missing out on some good riding for a while. Well now it is cold in the mornings, with the sun thawing the ground out by the afternoon, so our local trails are all mush most of the time right now anyway so I can deal without that for a while now.

This is my attempt at keeping me from buying a new frame to, well... just to buy a new frame as some of you guys may know the urge. I have a list of frames that I love and have almost pulled the trigger on, but thankfully my better judgment has stopped me from doing that. This Monocog works perfectly for me and I have yet to find a legitimate reason to not like it yet, so why spend the money on a new frame when this one works great....

As the bike sits today with tons of caked on crap on the wheels and the whole bike a mess in general, it weighs in at 25lb 14oz

Well I just started the process today of dismantling my bike and getting it ready for powder coating. I ride this as a SS obviously so something I thought would be cool and different from other Monocogs, would be for me to remove the cable stops for the gear cables. I figured it would clean the bike up a tad, give it a slightly different look, and save a minute amount of weight....

Below shows all of the cable stops I plan on removing...

Love how simple it is to take apart a single speed.....

A hacksaw and some patience was all that was needed to chop these bad boys off.... There of videos on YouTube that go through the whole process, but for those who don't know, you just need to hack the stop off, file it smooth, and then finish it up with sandpaper......

The stops all cut off.... The double stops on the top tube were a PITA to say the least and I got a little too anxious on the first on and pried it off when I thought I had gone through it enough.... You'll see why that was a mistake in a second.....

I wish I had a smaller more sensitive scale because I am curious of how much those stops weighed in the end.. Obviously I filed a ton of material down as well, but those pieces felt a lot heavier than I expected...

All filed down.....

All sanded and smooth....

I got myself a little bit of a dent there now from prying the stop off, but it really looks worse in the picture than in real life and I plan on doing a matte grey finish on the powder coating so it should hide it a bit. I havenít talked to the guy yet but, we may be able to use some sort of filler or what have you...

As you can see the guides for the rear brake were right next to the cable stops. this is why it was so annoying to file and sand these guys down.... the back three stops were a piece of cake, but these ones took some time and finesse to not gouge the tube because of the awkward angles I have to file at.... It worked out in the end and everything is plenty smooth for me....

So thatís where Iím at now.... I work a couple hours a week at a major Recreational Equipment retailer as a second job to break up the 9-5 throughout the week, so I made a run down to the stop and borrowed a couple tools so I could remove my headset, crank arms, bottom bracket, and crownrace....

I also installed the crownrace onto this guy below...VVVVVV (Pic taken before it was installed)

^^^^^The stock steel fork weighs 3lbs (w/brake adapter) and the Niner weighs 1lb 4oz (w/crown race, compression plug, topcap).

A glimpse of what is to come...... only the fork and bars are new to this bike, everything else were take-offs...... I have a little baggy of hardware that I need to bring to home depot or wherever to check the thread pitches so I can order some Ti and/ or Stainless steel bolts and washers for the main slider bolts, the fine adjustment/ slip preventer bolts, and my brake post bolts just to freshen them up and more importantly strengthen those areas up...

New chain and seatpost clamp..... I have a brand new Thomson setback seatpost and stem in the mail so I am stoked for them to come in....

I had ordered the new seatpost a week ago or so, but when I took the bike apart today I noticed this below... Good thing I have a new seatpost coming.. I would not have liked to have been on that when it decided to snap....

And o yea, I'll show off my new kicks while I'm at it.... These things a sweet. I only have one ride on them but they are light-years away from my old shoes. These things are so much stiffer that it will really make mashing it up these NJ hills a lot easier.... Best part is I picked these up at a local Recreational Equipment retailers used gear sale for $35............

So sorry for the horrifically long post, but figured I would document the whole updating/ makeover of my bike for you guys..

I will be getting in contact and hopefully meeting up with my powder coater tomorrow to go over everything, and hopefully order my color if he doesnít have it in stock. Like I said above, I am going to go with a matte grey with medium darkness to it. I am at the mercy of what my guy can get but it shouldnít be a problem to get in the ballpark of what I want...

I am also in the process of building up a wheelset (still need to order everything) of either Hope trials or Halo XCS (Hopes are the obvious choice, but Halo's are a lot cheaper with the main difference being a steel vs al freehub body, which makes the hopes heavier too...So we'll see....) laced to Stans arch EX's with some undecided new rubber (tubeless obviously) to come as well.

I will update everyone on the powder coating which hopefully does not take too long.. Thanks for reading...

mtbr member
    Subscribed
    Mountain bikers who don't road ride have no legs...
    Road riders who don't mountain bike have no soul...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Can't wait to see the final product. I have been coveting most SS29ers on this forum for the past few months. Want!!!
    There's something about those long grueling climbs that gets my front end all stiff... And I'm not talking about lockout...

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    This is going to be awesome, I have those bars on my 1x1 and I find them awesome for the price.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch rides a SS View Post
    Subscribed
    Thanks for the interest man.....

Quote Originally Posted by kikoraa View Post
    Can't wait to see the final product. I have been coveting most SS29ers on this forum for the past few months. Want!!!
    I was a long time road bike rider, and after messing with a cross bike for literally a day, I decided I NEEDED a mtb.... So I bought this bike used last May and told myself no upgrades (other than a much needed seat and handlebars) until the new year, and if I ride it a lot and really get into it, than I can justify the money spent on new parts....

Well its the new year now and I ended up riding this bike 3-4 times a week so I have no problem putting some money into it and making it even more enjoyable... I loved that I bought used and upgraded as I could...

Quote Originally Posted by UCF Eric View Post
    This is going to be awesome, I have those bars on my 1x1 and I find them awesome for the price.
    Thanks a lot for the compliment... I had bought the bar using a gift card and decided after I bought it that I would have rather had one of the new thomson xc bars, but decided in the end that the extra beef from the carbon/ al mix in these bars would ne welcomed security for my 225lbs... Glad you like them, thats reassuring to hear... and for others without the bars, they are a mix (Not fully carbon), but are able to be much thinner walled because of the added strength of the carbon.....

Teen Wolf
    cool, i'm sure it will come out looking sweet.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by RyeRey521 View Post
    Thanks a lot for the compliment... I had bought the bar using a gift card and decided after I bought it that I would have rather had one of the new thomson xc bars, but decided in the end that the extra beef from the carbon/ al mix in these bars would ne welcomed security for my 225lbs... Glad you like them, thats reassuring to hear... and for others without the bars, they are a mix (Not fully carbon), but are able to be much thinner walled because of the added strength of the carbon.....
    I wasn't aware these weren't full carbon, I guess that's what I get for buying in haste. For 68 bucks though, I guess I can't really complain.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Ha, well sorry/ your welcome... Yea, you can't beat the price and they are only a hair heavier than full carbon bars.. Hopefully they take my abuse....

Update on the thread, I will be dropping the frame off tomorrow to the powder coater. Checking out his operation and getting an idea on timeframe I'm looking at...

mtbr member
    Cool thread, can't wait to see it finished....

WNC Native
    In to see the result too, looks like a sweet project so far.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    So the bike is at the powder coater and I have picked out Satin Titanium II for my color.... I was told no later than next wednesday for it to be finished...

They describe the color as a Darksatin gold with a heavy silver metalic finish. Also getting my sliders and rear brake adapter a fresh coat of black.

I am thinking this color will go perfectly with all of the black from everything else on my bike. I was looking at some darker pewters and greys, but I feel I like the darker colors in small batches, on my frame I want there to be more contrast between the frame and everything else...

Any input is welcomed....

mtbr member
    A little JB Weld will fill in the dent, you can sand it smooth and you'll never know it's there after a nice powdercoat.

ride more
    Mar 2007
    Gonna be sweet, can't wait to see the pics...

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Colors gonna be awesome. Tell the powder coater to step it up. He's got a lot of people waiting to see the final product !
    Seeking MB-2 Fork (19.3), Ritchey FD post silver 26.8

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Hope I'm not too late...
    ...check real careful around the head tube gusset, I have cracked them in half there!

Not being negative, don't know how hard ya ride your Redline! Can't wait to see the results!

OSCMTB
    I'm doing a similar thing right now to my hardtail. Funny how the winter does that!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by trodaq View Post
    Colors gonna be awesome. Tell the powder coater to step it up. He's got a lot of people waiting to see the final product !
    Ha I was stocked when he told me it would only be that long.... With having to order a new color and giving me a killer deal on it. I'm not complaining.... As soon as I saw that color I knew that was it. Hopefully it turns out as good as I think it will....

Quote Originally Posted by NEPMTBA View Post
    Hope I'm not too late...
    ...check real careful around the head tube gusset, I have cracked them in half there!

Not being negative, don't know how hard ya ride your Redline! Can't wait to see the results!
    Thanks for the tip... I checked my bike every cleaning and never saw a sign any cracking....

The previous owner rode his FS a lot more often, this was his family canal path bike... That being said, I beat the hell out of it, but thats only been since may and I have checked everyother week for damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Berkley View Post
    I'm doing a similar thing right now to my hardtail. Funny how the winter does that!
    Yup, figures though that I take my bike apart and magically about 7 rides pop up that I would have loved to do all within 2 weeks. But its so messy out now that I can deal with not riding...

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    i built a flight thats looks just like yours

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Ha thats too funny... Great minds think alike.. I will be going a bit mellower on the hubs n rims, but that is a nice bike...

Thumbs Up!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike Whisperer View Post
    A little JB Weld will fill in the dent, you can sand it smooth and you'll never know it's there after a nice powdercoat.

Great Project! I can't wait to see the finished product!

I have also had great results with using Alvin Products Lab metal to fix inperfections before powder coating. It is strong enough to withstand the high temps that the power coating requires.

Powder Coating Filler | Epoxy Repair Putty | Filler for Powder Coating | Powder Coat Filler
    "Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth"
    Mike Tyson

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    My powdercoater said he was working with a couple products, testing them out to offer it as a service, but hadn't settled on anything yet. I thought about filling it with something, but it still had to be media blasted before he did his job and I didnt feel like giving it to him, then filling it myself and then getting it back to him, just making the process longer... the thickness of the powder will dull it out enough for me, along with the fact that im not going with a gloss finish. Not to mention unless i'm upside down on the trail, others shouldn't be able to notice it anyway...

On another note, are you from the philly area?

Thumbs Up!
    Quote Originally Posted by RyeRey521 View Post
    My powdercoater said he was working with a couple products, testing them out to offer it as a service, but hadn't settled on anything yet. I thought about filling it with something, but it still had to be media blasted before he did his job and I didnt feel like giving it to him, then filling it myself and then getting it back to him, just making the process longer... the thickness of the powder will dull it out enough for me, along with the fact that im not going with a gloss finish. Not to mention unless i'm upside down on the trail, others shouldn't be able to notice it anyway...

On another note, are you from the philly area?
    Yes, I am.
    "Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth"
    Mike Tyson

29er and 26er
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Berkley View Post
    Just did my old SS as well. (Not as nice as yours) Stripped her down, had her powdercoated, new fork and put all back together.

Can't wait to see yours when its all done.

Nothing like a winter project to keep you busy waiting for the snow and ice to melt.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Got a package today with some goodies... I will be ordering the parts for my wheelset tomorrow, but not sure how quick I can get them built up...

surly inbred
    Carpet fiber & Monocog seem like an odd combo, but I look forward to seeing the money shot.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast