mtbr member
    Aug 2009

04 Trek 4100 to single speed process?

So i have a used Trek 4100 sitting around that i am having a hard time selling. i have a geared bike already so i figured, why not make the trek into a ss and try out the ss thing. plus itd give me a project that i think i could do on a budget.

i dont need anything fancy, just want to get it to single speed.

so currently it has a 7speed megarange rear freewheel. i dont want to redish and respace my current rear wheel (limited budget) so i saw the post on how the poster (forgot his name) converted multispeed freewheels into single speeds using the lockring from a hyperglide and the cog from a uniglide and used spacers to achieve proper chainline.

so now this becomes like a freehub ss conversion right? just get a ss crank (my chain rings are spot welded ) and then space the freewheel accordingly to get a good chainline along with a tensioner, ditch the shifters and derailleurs and im set ?
    Sette Reken "Hopper" SS

AZ
    banned
    Yep .

mtbr member
    Have fun man. Will be finishing my Commencal SS convert tmr.. hopefully . Post pics when you are done!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    yeh ill post some pics when its done.

the uniglide cog with hyperglide lockring freewheel setup will work with my current hub that has the mega7 freewheel right?

i have a hyperglide lockring i on my oldschool DB and i just need to get a uniglide to harvest the cogs.
    Sette Reken "Hopper" SS