Faster Than Your TV!

[o] Schaeffer Snowy SS "Line Up & Ride" event...

or SSSSLUR, for short.

Okay, I made up the name and acronym, but 32seventeen and drevil and some other folks threw together a nice snow ride on Saturday at Schaeffer Farms in Germantown, EmDee.

Lots o' folks from this board showed up to make a truly enjoyable event. About an inch and a half of the white stuff, hidden ice patches, and high-teens-to-low-twenties temps conspired to make a couple normally fast and fun loops into a bit of a challenge. Lots of slick singletrack, slippery log piles, icy creek crossings, and tractionless bridges kept both the concentration and mayhem levels running high.

The pawls in my shitmano freewheel managed to freeze open about 8 or 9 miles into the ride, giving me the same amount of resistance pedalling forward as you would normally get pedalling backward with a freewheel, which meant I had to hike somewhere under 2 miles back to the parking lot. And yes, before it comes up, I tried p!ssing on it, which brought only temporary relief (well, at least as far as the freewheel was concerned). ENO here I come, baby.

Other than that, I don't believe there were any mechanicals to speak of. Couple of beers and some grub afterwards at Old Glory for a few of us practicing alkees, and it was, sadly, all over.

Thanks to all who planned this and for all who showed up; looking forward to the next one. I'll let others who took more/better pix post theirs, but here's one that sums it up. I know the names of some people, but don't know their mtbr handles, so those unnamed below can post to ID who they are; as for the others, I did my best. If I got a tag wrong, someone correct me. Not everyone who rode is pictured (JoeP, for example, managed to ride, then hide).

Kneeling in the foreground: left is rockdogger, on the right is me (iconoclaSSt--formerly eelpie).

Standing in the back: SheikP on the far left; the dude sporting the red and yellow MTBR jersey and the Bob Roll sized chops is DmofoT; just to the right over his shoulder is the head of 32seventeen;; drevil is just behind me on the right, with his new Johnny Cool hairdo; to the right of (and behind) drevil is the disembodied head of none other than shivasteve; to the right of shiva in the grey cap is static; I think the dude standing between me and rockdogger (blue helmet and shades) is shiftless.--nope, it's xander then?
    Last edited by iconoclaSSt; 01-26-2004 at 11:36 AM.
    "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailleur? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!'' -- Henri Desgrange, from an article in L'Equipe

Wrench In the Gears

One gear to rule them all

Nice post ride pic....

Who has the pre-ride pics? I also thought more than one person took pics during the ride, or am I wrong? I need to remember my camera next time
    I had so much fun riding there in the snow, that I rode Schaeffer again on Sunday.
    Todd............. If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague

mtbr member

Talk about ride and hide....

Nice photo....enjoyed the ride, but I had to bail when you guys headed out for the second "short loop".
    Not sure who the guy in the blue helment is....
    Post if you guys get the permit for a night ride.....

later - shiftless
    "Work Harder...Not Smarter - Single Speed"

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

... and if we just ... Schaeffer Pics

Quote Originally Posted by 32seventeen
    Who has the pre-ride pics? I also thought more than one person took pics during the ride, or am I wrong? I need to remember my camera next time
    I had so much fun riding there in the snow, that I rode Schaeffer again on Sunday.
    Posted my pics on saturday, so they're buried a way down the page now... here's a link to the thread they're in...

Schaeffer Ride Pics

Faster Than Your TV!

Guess I continue to be a victim of the new board format...

Quote Originally Posted by static
    Posted my pics on saturday, so they're buried a way down the page now... here's a link to the thread they're in...

Schaeffer Ride Pics
    Thanks! Looks like I missed the boat. Still waiting on rockdogger's pix, though.

C'mon Erin, make with 'em.
    "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailleur? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!'' -- Henri Desgrange, from an article in L'Equipe

Wrench In the Gears

mtbr member

yeah, that was me.

Quote Originally Posted by iconoclaSSt
    I think the dude standing between me and rockdogger (blue helmet and shades) is shiftless.--nope, it's xander then?
    Yep, that was me (on the old board as Xander). That was my first time riding at Schaeffer. Fun place! I'll visit again. I appreciate you guys waiting for me to show up... took a lot longer to get there then expected, what with having to snowblow the driveway and all.

I love snow rides, but this stuff we're getting now is another story. Might be time to work on the homemade studded tires!

Kevin