mtbr member
    Jan 2004

#@$*& creaky EBB!

I've got a Soul Cycles Hooligan, with a set screw EBB. Love it.

But, it's been getting pretty damn creaky. Don't love that.

I couldn't find the source of the creak, but it must be the EBB right?

Took the entire drive train apart. Greased up the chainring bolts, cleaned everything up. Dumped out the mud and crud from the bb shell. Greased up the EBB with white lithium grease, put it all back together, headed out for a wet, muddy ride.

Soon enough, creak!, creak!.

#@$*& ! #@$*&ing EBB!

Took out the EBB, cleaned it up, wrapped it in plumber's tape, put it back together.

creak! creak!

#@$*& ! #@$*&ing EBB!

Took out the EBB, cleaned it up, greased it up with Phil's grease, put it back together.

creak! creak!

#@$*& ! #@$*&ing EBB!

#@$*&ing losing my mind on a ride last night. what the hell is wrong with this thing?

And all the while, I'm thinking, I keep doing the same thing and expecting a different result... isn't that a sign of insanity?

Sure enough, towards the end of the ride I broke out the multi tool and tried to find anything else that could be causing the creaking.

Cranks loose? No.

Chainring bolts loose?

TING!

Cracked chainring bolt. Sheared when I put a wrench on it.

Blessed quiet from there on out.

mtbr member
    not sure if it helps you... but check your saddle as well... I spent hours looking at crankset and bb and then found out a problem with my saddle.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    yeah, that too. I have a Thomson seat post and it seems to gets creaky pretty quickly, but I'd addressed that as well.

I think that the whole issue was that one chainring bolt. I'll throw some new ones in there for a Saturday ride, hopefully I'll finally have a quiet bike.

The funny thing is that last night, it was the left crank that was causing the creaking. Left crank forward and dead level, down to the bottom of the stroke would cause a creak every time.

mtbr member
    I believe the Carver 54mm "creak-proof" EBB insert will fit the Soul.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    that's good to know.

my point though, and I guess it should have been made more clearly, was that the creaking was not an EBB problem. I was blaming an innocent party.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I just turn up the volume.

Sweep the leg!
    If you ever find yourself riding with someone on a full suspension rig you'll wish you had a creaky EBB
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine Powered
    If you ever find yourself riding with someone on a full suspension rig you'll wish you had a creaky EBB
    I had a creaky full suspension rig that I sold to a friend. He got it to stop creaking, which I was never able to do. Makes me question my skills as a mechanic.

I just replaced the chainring bolts, off for a ride - I hope it's a quiet one.

Roc
    mtbr member
    I had the same problem with my Zion, then I bought one of these http://www.bikeman.com/content/view/1868/119/

Huge difference, you occasionally have to tighten it, but it's immediate improvement.

Roc

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by grundy
    that's good to know.

my point though, and I guess it should have been made more clearly, was that the creaking was not an EBB problem. I was blaming an innocent party.
    That's what I get for merely skimming the OP!