Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

How to start with Cross Country? Brisbane Australia

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Asterope 
#1 ·
Hi All,

I'm a newbie to MTB with a total of 6 visits to the local trails (mostly Bunyaville and once to Gap Creek).

I'm keen to learn more about cross country mountain biking.

-What sort of level of fitness is needed to make entering worthwhile?
-Any suggestions for what would be a suitable practice distance to get ready and maybe even routes?

I've been inspired by looking at the Wild West XC series in South East QLD, looks like some nice countryside.

Cheers
Evan

#4 ·
Hey EvanGT - welcome to the addiction that is mountain biking!

If you are keen to try out some racing, the Brisbane south mountain biking club (BSMBC) holds the summer sprints club racing series down at Underwood park near Daisy Hill starting this month.

It's $10 a race (Plus day license fees if you don't have an MTBA membership) and there are four grades for the guys (A-D) and three for the chicks (A-C). It's a short-track XC race and the lower grades race for 40 minutes. I did a few of them last year - really fun, no pressure and very do-able even for newbies. There's even a race for little kids - same track but 20 minutes ;)

As for your questions - your fitness will build, as will your strength and stamina, the more you ride. I get the feeling you are on the northish-westish side of Brisbane so you can check out trails such as Ironbark gully (samford conservation park) and also the 200+kms of management trails in the D'Aguilar National park starting from The Gap. I can recommend some routes if you like - just send me a message.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.