Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

How to attach head badge

10K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  p08757 
#1 ·
What should I use to attach my head badge to my bicycle? I recently stripped my commuter bike and had the frame powder coated. I have it all put together and it looks great. The only part that I need to install is the head badge and I'm at a loss as to the correct way to do this.

I removed it with a heat gun and sliding dental floss through the adhesive.

Any suggestions?

#2 ·
Does it have areas that you can see through, or is it solid? The 3M dual sided tape that GoPro issues with their stick-on mounts is incredibly strong and comes pre-cut in just the right size, but it would look bad if the head badge has see-through areas.

#3 ·
Clear Silicon Sealer (like the bathtub type) has worked for me with this type applications in the past. Clean bike & Badge thoroughly, locate precisely where you want the badge located and use pieces of masking tape as guidelines, top, bottom, side to side. Squeeze out some sealer on a disposable surface (wax paper, aluminum foil) and apply a thin layer with forefinger on the badge and let set for a few minutes. Tear off a couple longer pieces of masking tape to hold badge in place once you apply it. When silicone sealer 'tacks' up, wipe off your forefinger and place the badge where desired and press 'gently' to make sure the sealer contacts the bike surface. Apply the precut strips of masking tape to hold it in place and let it set for at least 24 hours. Barring any very harsh cleaners should hold up fine for a long time.

#6 ·
3M 5200 Marine adhesive/sealant is super strong and holds up to the elements. Probably overkill, but it comes in a few different colors and is available in small tubes at most marine stores or online. I'm having a new badge made (just saw the first pass today!) and will probably use this on my own bike. I've used it many time on my boat and it's works great.

#7 ·
3M 5200 Marine adhesive/sealant is super strong and holds up to the elements. Probably overkill,
Can't go wrong with 3M tape, but for a headbadge, probably overkill. I like the clear silicone idea above. It'll hold well, waterproof, clear, and can be "cut" with dental floss if you need to remove it. Only downside, you'll never get old silicone off unless you strip the paint off. Once silicone caulk is used, no going back to something else.

#13 ·
I like clean looks too and can understand that. If you dont want to put it on you can sell it now or later.

What wonders me is the angle at the intersection of bars and hoods. Is it possible to ride on the hoods comfortably? Like the color too, is that plain red or metallic paint? And whst kind of stem is that? Looks like an adjustable one but none that I know of.

#15 ·
It is an adjustable stem. It's been set up this way since the day I got the bike, and I guess I've learned to ride it with the way its set up now.

The powder coat has a metallic finish to it. It was a three step process. First a chrome base was applied, then a candy red, finished by a clear coat. This finish was kind of expensive. It was $185.00 for the frame and fork. A few years ago I had a frame done with one color and it was $65.00.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.