Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Perth / WA Visit: MTB Advice

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  pilotrcuk 
#1 ·
Hi All,

I'm heading out to Perth on Friday, going to spend a few days with friends before heading down towards Albany and winding our way back up via Margaret River.

Can anyone recommend some good, easily accessible trails which have a good rental shop close-by, ideally at the trailhead? I'm used to riding Red & Black trails at home here in Scotland, so a similar sort of level would be good, although my wife is more comfortable on Blue & Red stuff - ideally either a trail centre with both and we'll do our own loops, or also happy riding natural stuff.

We have friends in Perth and I think the intention is to do the Kalamunda trails with them initially, but will be doing our own thing as we head down to Albany and back. I reckon I have a max of 2 MTB sorties before the wife starts protesting :) so any suggestions / links gratefully received!!

Regards,
Al

Edinburgh, Scotland

#2 ·
for Kalamunda, go to the Camel Farm and see Rock and Roll
Home - Rock and Roll Mountain Biking

for Marg's, closest to trails (which are in flux so adjust according to the logging) is
Wharncliffe Mill Bush Retreat and Eco Tours Western Australia
https://www.facebook.com/mrorca

other trails including albany are covered here:
http://perthmtb.asn.au/rides

Have a great time, we have turned corner into spring and its been dry for a week and looks likely to continue. Bring a camelback to stay hydrated.

Cheers,
KT

#3 ·
Many thanks for the reply KT - I'm literally heading out the door here so looking forward to some Aussie MTB soon!! I'm hoping you guys run your brakes with the front on the right hand side (the right way ;-))!! Or it'll be OTB for me before I know it...

Thanks,
Al

#4 ·
Some great riding in Margaret River, and 2 bike shops in the town, both hiring bikes.

The Hairy Marron at the bottom end of town has a decent selection of bikes and sells awesome coffee and cake too.... Highly rec'd. Margs has about 80k of riding - I've recently done a week down there. Heaven. (And superb surfing / wine / beer / cheese / olives too.

#5 ·
Thanks mate! I should probably close this thread as my trip was in October of last year!! Ended up doing some interesting riding a couple of days, one was in the hills north of Perth, hiring a bike from Rock & Roll - first time I've cycled on pea gravel - can you say "drift" :)
Second place was in Margs and yes we rented from the Hairy Marron - can some great chat with Andy (ex pat) and rented a brand new (at the time) Trance Advanced. Nice mix of trails and very cool to finish at the Colonian Brewery for a few.
Missed the hills of home I guess but certainly appreciated having a go on some completely different terrain in WA - it was an amazing trip.

Thanks for your comments,
Al

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.