Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Surly 1x1 650b+(-)

11K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  cassa89 
#1 ·
So just ordered some blunts 35s for my 1x1 and I'm just curious anyone done this before and what the widest tire you are able to fit?

Currently in running velocity dually's with 26x3 surly knards just had to trim the outside knards a little bit! (It's pretty tight)

Decided to post this to see if many people have tried the 650b+ on anything yet.

I shall be updating this with different tires and seeing what fits!

Current set up:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
#5 ·
I wouldn't recommend the 2.8 on normal sized rims. I have one up front on a 21mm internal and 28mm external rim and it doesn't work well at all. You need something around 29/30mm internal or greater to really benefit from the Trailblazers and other plus sized tires in my humble opinion.

#10 ·
Mount a WTB Breakout 2.5 on a nice wide (30mm internal) rim.

The Breakout is almost as tall as a WTB Trail Blazer 2.8 and has a full 2.5" tread width (as opposed to the 2.2-2.3" tread width on the Trailblazer 2.8)

Breakout is literally the largest (non-plus) 650b tire I've ever seen. B2B measures 165mm!

3.5 FBN (really 3.0") on Blunt35 (left), 2.5 WTB Breakout on Asym i29
Automotive tire Finger Bicycle tire Synthetic rubber Automotive wheel system

2.5 WTB Breakout on Blunt35 (rear), 2.4 On-One CM Asym i29 (front)
Tire Bicycle tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle frame

2.5 WTB Breakout on Blunt35 (rear), 3.5 FBN Asym i29 (front)
Tire Bicycle tire Wheel Bicycle wheel Bicycle frame

Last pic is 2.75" DW/RH (rear), 3.5 FBN Asym i29 (front)
(just for S'n'G's)

Attachments

#18 ·
Mount a WTB Breakout 2.5 on a nice wide (30mm internal) rim.

The Breakout is almost as tall as a WTB Trail Blazer 2.8 and has a full 2.5" tread width (as opposed to the 2.2-2.3" tread width on the Trailblazer 2.8)

Breakout is literally the largest (non-plus) 650b tire I've ever seen. B2B measures 165mm!
Thanks for the tip. I was not aware of these tires and they are just what I'm looking for. I have a pair of Pacenti DL31 rims in need of a set of beefy tires.

#12 ·
Thanks 11. I think 2 questions still remain; One, how large a 27.5 tire one can fit in a Troll/1x1 on an appropriately sized rim (>28 internal) while still having adequate clearance? ; and two, for those of us who have fallen for the knard and other 3.0 tires, is there a serious loss when stepping down to 2.8? This picture from bikemag leads me think so. I think this first question is objective, at least when answered using technical info (internal rim width/bdb/ photos of rear clearance), while the second is a more subjective question for those who have had the chance to use the bikes with both.

#13 ·
On the Inferno 27 rims, the 2.8 really measures like a 2.5-6

on that note, it fits slammed with reasonable clearance for me.

The picture of the 3.0 to 2.8 is reasonable. After seeing a Specialized Fuse with the 3.0 and the WTB Scraper rims, it made the 2.8s look small.

All that being said. I have 26x2.3 on my bike now and the 2.8s BLOW THEM OUT OF THE WATER for comfort. Just not maneuverability and weight.

#14 ·
This has been an awesome thread, guys. Much appreciated. I will be swapping the parts from my current 26" commuter to a 1x1 frame in the next month, and when I do, I'd like to put together a second wheel set to run this winter. Before I went and plopped the money down on a set of dirt wizards on rabbit holes, I was curious how those tires would do on a smaller (and less expensive) rims. It sure looks like I can get a nice mid-fat set up using something like a dually or even more narrow rim and avoid the $$$ I'd spend on rabbit holes.

#20 ·
After being ready to pull the trigger on a new 1x1 frameset, talking with my LBS about sizing and availability, and shopping for a new wheelset to complete my mid-fat build, this happened:

Get ?em while they?re fat. | Blog | Surly Bikes

I just couldn't resist, so instead of a 1x1 build, my new Ice Cream Truck Ops will be here later today. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.