Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Clydes and press fit bottom brackets

2K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  Kbbob 
#1 ·
I thought I read somewhere that press fit bottom brackets tend to get pretty squeaky when ridden by clydes.

I ask because my Stumpy has had a weird squeaking noise almost since day 1 coming right from that area, and I'm trying to figure it out.

#5 ·
I had a PF 30 on Niner jet 9 carbon.... And after a few months it began to squeak and eventually parts of the BB started to walk out of the frame... I up graded to a Hope BB that is a PF but also screws together .... It's been awesome silent riding for the last 2 months. I started at 318 last June and am now around 280...

G
#6 ·
I think PF bottom brackets are hit and miss for everyone. Creaks are hard to chase down because they travel around the bike (i.e. where you hear them isn't always where they are). There are several posts regarding different diagnostic techniques, in general if it doesn't happen in concert with peddling (both sitting and standing) at the same tempo as your peddling, you can look elsewhere. Seatposts are notorious for squeaking, as are stems. I'd retorque (with a good torque wrench) everything, grease the crank/bb interface then look for the cause(s).

#11 ·
the XT bb 73/68mm that came with my SLX cranks only lasted about 1 month before it started making noise...guess I'm gonna go ahead and bite the bullet for a Hope. Does anybody else have a better suggestion for $100 or less (clyde 270lb) ?

#15 ·
I have posted to several other bb and bb noises. I am not a shill for BBinfinite and don't work for them. I researched this whole Pf30-bb sizes-spindle sizes, on and on. Was going to go with CK but read the reviews on Mtbr. Emailed and called two others but never heard back. I had some very specific questions. I was all set to go with a certain BB, talked to the rep, he determined that they didn't make BB that would work for my bike. However he was the one that suggested BBinfinite. I would recommend his company but wouldn't want to cause problems for him being so up front and helpful. So with all that being said, don't let the price scare you......

I also was caught in the pf30 web. Spesh 2013 fsr Elete 29er. 30mm crank spindle. 260 geared, on a good day. Take a look at the link. A bit pricey until you figure you won't have to be spending your time and money replacing bearings. Gary, the owner is super available through email and phone....

BBInfinite

Thx.
John

#16 ·
HATE creaks and clicks!!!

Steel frames w/GOOD ABEC5 Bearings, and lots of grease in the BB.

REAL Peddles (no PU bushings, ferchristsakes!!!) I now ride Velo Orange Platforms, with 3 sealed bearings per pedal, on chrome moly. They also sell kits of new bearings at a great price. Lots of grease in the peddles.

I'm a big guy, (6'2", 240), and I haul an old labrador (80lbs+) in a trailer a lot of the time. I break a chain or two a year, standing on it out of a steep spot.

I also started and ran a bike shop many years ago, and have been involved with mechanical pursuits in my subsequent careers (Commercial fishing and construction).

Most modern bikes and components seem to be built for buck and a half when wet dudes, and the whole idea of carbon fiber and unobtanium when something like STEEL would, like, ACTUALLY WORK??? (Duh), in a torque/twist situation, seems to have been lost in time.

So, I have chosen to ride Surly Frames, ABEC5 (minimum) bearings, and absolutely NO PU Bushing pedals (those were designed for people who never even ride uphill, anyway).

IMHO, the only movement allowed is in the frame (steel), or the tires (Fat, low pressure), or, god forbid, the squish bits. :)

Two cents
Cheers
Kevin

PS. Still cry over the theft of my Raleigh (Carlton Factory) Professional MK IV. Full Campy, and the current "Gravel Grinders" at $4G are a joke in comparison. The point is, steel on steel, where it matters, beats plastic where it matters, every time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.