Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1st Wheel Build: DT 533d rims, 180 hubs, Alpine III Spokes, Messing 2.0/12mm Nipples

9K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  beginnercyclist 
#1 ·
Hi. My name's Keith. I'm new to this site. After closely reviewing the forum topics, I think I've found the correct spot to post this thread.

I've read many articles on many different rim/hub/spoke/nipple combinations. However, I have my own combination that I'm looking to assemble myself. It includes:
------------------------------------------------------------------
DT Swiss 533d rims.
DT Swiss 180 hubs (front/rear)
DT Swiss Alpine III spokes. The DT Swiss spokes calculator calls for:
FRONT WHEEL - 278mm (left) / 280mm (right)
REAR WHEEL - 279mm (left) / 277mm (right)
DT Swiss nipples. The DT Swiss spokes calculator calls for:
DT Messing 2.0 / 12mm (both sides of both wheels)

Does that information seem correct?

Also, I'll be buying the Park Tool truing stand, dishing tool, and spoke nipple wrench shortly.

I'm currently designing my own mtb frame, so I can build the frame myself. It'll consist of:
- Carbon fiber material.
- Shimano XTR drive train, disc brakes, pedals, bottom bracket, etc.
- 140 or 160mm travel Rock Shox front suspension fork. Not sure the exact travel yet.
- Rock Shox rear suspension. Not sure if I'm going coil spring or air. I'm not even 100% sure about the suspension design yet. I plan to use the simple swing-arm to seat post design.

My main objective is to design an extreme mtb for extreme conditions. My second, but not least, objective is weight reduction to an absolute minimum. I want a mtb that'll be able to go anywhere, through anything, and still get me around the city alright.

I've done a lot of research about it and changed my design drastically to accommodate the compromises of what I'm after. I'm currently figuring out the best fore-aft position on the bike.

Since I don't know where to start, I've taken a guess of where I should start. I've decided to start at the wheel building process. Then bottom bracket mold. Then build a jig, and incorporate the rear wheel / bottom bracket / front wheel, to see where all these will line up in respect to each other. Then build the part molds. Then build the custom carbon fiber parts. Then assemble the carbon fiber parts together. Then make the frame nice by sanding and painting it. Then assembling all the components onto it.

ANY suggestions/feedback (positive or negative) is welcome here. If you made it this far down the post, thanks for reading.

See less See more
#2 ·
Alpine spokes have no business being within a mile of a 180. If you've dropped close to a grand on hubs alone, please do yourself a favor and buy high end spokes.

DT Swiss Aerolite or Sapim CX-Ray.

Similarly, that's an odd choice in rim, given the hubs.

Do you know what frame geometry you're going with? There are plenty of awesome bikes on the market these days; I'd look at them for ideas.

It seems odd to me that you're throwing a lot of cash at super light hubs, but will most likely end up with a tank of a bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 ·
If you're primarily looking at a starting point to custom build a carbon frame, the absolute best idea would be spend about $150 on a generic MTB wheelset and wait until you have the frame sorted out to spend a fortune on an uber light wheelset. That leaves you with more cash to develop the frame, fine tune the frame weight and make it strong enough. Things like that always take longer and cost more than you expect. And you also don't have to worry about getting gunk on the wheels while you're developing the frame.

You might also want to look at using an Enve carbon rims instead of the DT 533d, those things are heavy at 520gms for a 26" rim. Even the Enve DH rims are lighter than the 533d.

#4 ·
Hi. My name's Keith. I'm new to this site. After closely reviewing the forum topics, I think I've found the correct spot to post this thread.

I've read many articles on many different rim/hub/spoke/nipple combinations. However, I have my own combination that I'm looking to assemble myself. It includes:
DT Swiss 533d rims.
DT Swiss 180 hubs (front/rear)
DT Swiss Alpine III spokes. The DT Swiss spokes calculator calls for:
FRONT WHEEL - 278mm (left) / 280mm (right)
REAR WHEEL - 279mm (left) / 277mm (right)
DT Swiss nipples. The DT Swiss spokes calculator calls for:
DT Messing 2.0 / 12mm (both sides of both wheels)

Does that information seem correct?

Also, I'll be buying the Park Tool truing stand, dishing tool, and spoke nipple wrench shortly.

I'm currently designing my own mtb frame, so I can build the frame myself. It'll consist of:
- Carbon fiber material.
- Shimano XTR drive train, disc brakes, pedals, bottom bracket, etc.
- 140 or 160mm travel Rock Shox front suspension fork. Not sure the exact travel yet.
- Rock Shox rear suspension. Not sure if I'm going coil spring or air. I'm not even 100% sure about the suspension design yet. I plan to use the simple swing-arm to seat post design.

My main objective is to design an extreme mtb for extreme conditions. My second, but not least, objective is weight reduction to an absolute minimum. I want a mtb that'll be able to go anywhere, through anything, and still get me around the city alright.

I've done a lot of research about it and changed my design drastically to accommodate the compromises of what I'm after. I'm currently figuring out the best fore-aft position on the bike.

Since I don't know where to start, I've taken a guess of where I should start. I've decided to start at the wheel building process. Then bottom bracket mold. Then build a jig, and incorporate the rear wheel / bottom bracket / front wheel, to see where all these will line up in respect to each other. Then build the part molds. Then build the custom carbon fiber parts. Then assemble the carbon fiber parts together. Then make the frame nice by sanding and painting it. Then assembling all the components onto it.

ANY suggestions/feedback (positive or negative) is welcome here. If you made it this far down the post, thanks for reading.
Build the frame then worry about the wheels.

You picked an odd combo of parts for the wheels. When you are ready to build the wheels, measure the hubs and rims yourself before calculating spoke length. And never trust numbers supplied by somebody else. You did leave out some vital info about the wheels that make it impossible to confirm anything.

#5 ·
Thanks for all your replies!

@ Le Duke:
- I checked out the Aerolite line, and noticed there are 2 models: Aerolite classic-pull, and Aerolite straight-pull. The straight pull is less weight by 4grams. However, is there a huge difference between building the classic-pull wheel set compared to building the straight-pull wheel set? I'm going to do additional research on that topic.
- I only chose the rim because of the performance sheet on DT Swiss's website, and fear of using carbon fiber rims because I don't want the rim to shred to pieces on the trail. Maybe that's an un-realistic fear, however, it's a consideration of what could happen.
- I've revised the frame design quite drastically to basically come up with a good balance of compromises. I can post the picture that I have, if you want.
- The cash will and won't really be an issue. Cash will only matter if I finish the project, and it isn't exactly how I want it. Cash will not be an issue in respects to gaining it to buy the parts I want. I have a great-paying job, and my project is projected to be done or close to being done by the time the nice weather arrives next year (June/2015). It'll be a winter project.
- My ultimate goal is as light-weight, and strong/durable, as possible so hopefully with the advice from you and others, I will achieve that ultimate goal.

@ rockyuphill:
- I'll do that. Then when it comes time to ride it, and have more practical experience with building wheel sets, I'll go for the 180's. That's a great idea for a couple reasons.
- Are carbon fiber rims alright for rough terrain. I guess probably considering that the 180's are part carbon and part ceramic, and they should be fine .

@ shiggy:
- Alright, I'll do that.
- What vital information am I missing?

Thanks again, guys!

#6 ·
Just buy a 5-6", 27.5" FS bike. Sell it the next season, buy a different one. Repeat for a couple of years. Figure out what you actually like instead of building a bike that will likely ride terribly.

Carbon fiber rims are tough enough, particularly if you have to actually ask the question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.