Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

So does VPP work with a clutch mech?

3K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  Gman086 
#1 ·
Afternoon guys,

I was thinking of upgrading to a 10 speed, mainly for the Shimano Shadow+ clutch mech to stop that annoying chain rattle. I've started reading conflicting reports about the VPP chain growth and the tension clutch mechs put on the chain = loss of suspension plushness + clutch mechs wearing through at a concerning rate?

Any thoughts?

#9 ·
No. Enough chain to wrap your big big combo, plus 2 links.
Just did that on my TBLT.

I had a chain break recently and had to remove two links on the trail. that made the chain barely long enough to reach around my big cog (1x11). I put it there and pedaled up the hill, kind of as a test for chain growth. Chain was so tight I couldn't shift out of the big cog. I figured a big bump was going to break my chain, but never did. Chain growth on VPP isn't very much and isn't any more than on the other typical designs.

#10 ·
Been using a Shimano XT with my Tallboy for 2 years, haven't had any problems. IIRC, Santa Cruz has said that the total chain growth throughout the travel is actually greater on their single pivot bikes than on today's VPP.

I did read multiple reports on the SRAM clutch derailleurs clunking on full suspension bikes in general, but I think it was found to be some kind of overtightening in the derailleur from the factory that wasn't the correct spec. That was quite some time ago. Therefore I'd be inclined to believe these other posters that it isn't a problem anymore.

#12 ·
One way to "calculate" chain growth is to let all the air of the shock, and cycle the rear suspension. You can see how the chain moves backwards under compression and see if the chain will bind the suspension at bottom out. More likely, it will destroy the rear derailleur cage at bottom out, if the chain is too short. I'll tell you that the VPP2 has much more chain growth than my other bike, which uses a FSR type linkage. I can feel the rear suspension occasionally firm up under pedaling and hitting a series of trail obstacles on the VPP bike. I think I've broken the clutches when climbing technical terrain while in my 40T gear. The suspension is pulling the rear axel back and I'm pulling it forwards while pedaling, so something has to give. I haven't had the problem since switching to the SRAM drivetrain.

#17 ·
You know, I wouldn't be surprised. I laughed at the notion of too short of a chain causing noticeable stiffening with VPP until I added a couple links to my old BLT. There was a rather noticeable diff! And I can tell you for fact that my clutch X01 rear der needed disassembly and re-greasing WAY sooner than I'd hoped on my Bronson. There's NO QUESTION in my mind that this is an issue with VPP because of the large chain growth thru travel. The question is, is 4 links (can't go 5, need to remove in pairs) going to give too much chain slack and require a guide then? I haven't dropped a single chain using the standard 2 extra link guideline and I think 4 will give too much slack in the 10 tooth cog?!

Have FUN!

G MAN

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.