Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Drop Handle Conversion or just buy a Fargo ?

704 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  tfoxworth 
#1 ·
I know there are lots of post out there about the problems of converting a flat handled bike to drop handle. I really like the Salsa Woodchipper bars, really would like a dedicated touring mtn bike, and am not completely opposed to purchasing one, Salsa Fargo is 1st choice. However I have a good Specialized Stumpjumper Comp that fits. IF I'm planning on switching to BB7 breaks anyway, and have x7, is it really that hard to set up with drop handle bars like the Salsa Fargo 2 ? What am I missing? I'm mechanically challenged but can't seem to get a straight answer on if it can be done.
Help?

#2 ·
It can be done it's just a matter of how comfortable you can make your SJ. It's going to have a relatively long top tube and short head tube for drop bars. Having said that if you swapped forks for one with an uncut steer tube that would give you an opportunity to get your handlebars up higher. As it sits now you are limited to finding a stem with a steeper angle. It may be enough, you'll never know unless you try. Sram makes it easy to use road shifters with MTB derailleurs, road bike brake levers will work better with the road version of the BB7s.

#3 ·
How long is your current stem with flat/riser bars? If it's long enough, you have room for using a shorter stem with a steeper angle (possibly some spacer shuffle to bring it up) and you might get a good riding position.

Try not to over-do the "go shorter and higher" route when switching to drop bars. I did that and nearly killed my joy for riding. If the bar seems a little hard to reach with your bum on the saddle, move the saddle a bit to the rear. Yes, rear. It's counter-intuitive but actually makes the bars easier to reach and helps take weight off your hands.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.