Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Recommendations for carbon seatpost for 29er HT

5K views 31 replies 23 participants last post by  ScottyJ7 
#1 ·
I'm looking for some suggestions on what carbon fiber seatpost to put on my 29 HT. Im looking for something with a little compliance. Any suggestions?

#11 ·
Keep in mind that posts like the Niner and Syntace are engineered and designed to flex...just because a post is made of carbon fiber doesn't necessarily mean it will be compliant.

#15 ·
I am riding an FSA SL-K on mine and it is a bit more forgiving then the all alloy post I replaced it with. If you don't know it is a carbon wrapped alloy post, but works well for me. It is going to be a personal preference thing more then someone here coming up with a definitive answer for you.

#21 · (Edited)
I purchased a syntace p6 hi flex but when I bolted the seat onto it I found it did not give me the adjustment range of the stock specialized alloy post which seams to have a 15 to 25 mm offset. I could not get the seat adjusted on the post without it looking awkward by having to slide it all the way back in the post clamp. I am aware that the niner rdo comes in an offset version. Does anyone have any experience with this offset version or can recommend a post with engineered for compliance in an offset?

#22 ·
Are you only interested in carbon posts? If not, as mentioned, there are good titanium posts available. What's your required length?

I purchased a syntace ps hi flex but when I bolted the seat onto it I found it did not give me the adjustment range of the stock specialized alloy post which seams to have a 15 to 25 mm offset. I could not get the seat adjusted on the post without it looking awkward by having to slide it all the way back in the post clamp. I am aware that the niner rdo comes in an offset version. Does anyone have any experience with this offset version or can recommend a post with engineered for compliance in an offset?

#24 ·
Do you know which model ritchey post you have? Does it feel like it provides a smoother ride with slight vertical compliance? I have heard of some people complain about the clamping system on these posts but from what I can tell it looks like a pretty basic one or two screw clamp. I have been looking at the Ritchey WCS Trail Carbon Post.

#25 ·
add my vote for the syntace.

i've got the 30.9 on my scandium one9 and it's a dream. i've also got a 27.2 for my steel road/commute/gravel/cx bike. i really like the idea for getting the 27.2 and shimming it if your seat tube dia is larger. wish i would have thought of that before dropping the $$ on it.

high volume tires help a lot too. i've been running a geax aka 2.2 on dt swiss tricon wheels for a couple of years, it was comfortable and adequate. i just picked up an ikon 2.25 for the rear (ikon 2.35 for the front) and the ride is noticeably more comfy. it also has loads more grip than the aka, but there is also a noticeable weight penalty.

sorry for the tangent. i feel like tire selection is a big part of this equation that i hadn't thought much of before changing tires.

#27 ·
I don't think you'll get direct comparisons since these pieces are pricey.

From a performance perspective you can't go wrong with any of the choices recommended: C'Dale save, ritchey, niner RDO, syntace, or Ti. The research I did before getting mine swayed me toward the Syntace, but I found that all of the above came highly recommended. I liked who syntace was as a company and that was something I wanted to support.

More importantly, don't get setback if your biking position doesn't need it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.