Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Carbon drop out worn away Scott scale 930 2013

4K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  bheher 
#1 ·
Hi, I noticed the rear wheel was rubbing slightly on the left chainstay, after removing the wheel i noticed the carbon dropout on the derailleur side has worn away towards the front allowing the wheel to sit at a slight angle. I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience with successful warranty claims for similar incidences as this appears to be a frame fault.

if I can't warranty the frame I will have to convert the hub to 10mm thru bolt so that the QR will rest of the alloy derailleur hanger instead which will fix the problem, however this will cost money which is never a good option. Im not interested in modifying the frame myself by gluing/ cutting anything as these things tend to fail mid race and don't end well.

Thanks in advance for any help.

#6 ·
ok i have now seen your pic and i can inform you that you can fix this yourself by simply mixing epoxy and chopped carbon fibers (50/50 by weight should work) and like building it up there where it has worn away. Then you simply file and sand with a sandpaper to desired shape. done. Get slow setting epoxy, like 24h type, and then leave it for at least 48h until you use the bike. But most likely a week is better. Pretty much all epoxies takes about a a week to get really good.

We used to paint stuff with epoxy paints it you could not paint over the epoxy primers for several days if you wanted to get a good result. No matter what it said on the cans.

#7 ·
I'm pretty amazed that someone would manufacture a carbon component (frame) where raw, exposed carbon is consistently exposed to another metal component. A QR is regularly removed and re-installed and subject to direct vibration and impact from the road. I work regularly with aerospace and aviation carbon components and always in similar situations, there is always a metal bushing, sleeve or similar type protective device to prevent the very damage that I see here.

#9 ·
From what i have read about bonding metals to carbon it works like this: first you have to sand blast the metal part, then etch it in a for the specific metal special etchant, then prime it, then sand it, then glue it. And this requires real knowhow to avoid the part coming of and to avoid galvanic corrosion. you know when the parts separate due to shitty construction. Also most likely the carbon needs to be primed with some special primer for this to work.

#10 ·
Scott bikes aren't intended to last but a few seasons at most. See some of the wildly-proprietary suspension parts they have speced in the past.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.