Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Specialized Pitch comp or Rockhopper sport.

31K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  Montanadan 
#1 ·
Getting back into mt biking which would be better Specialized Pitch comp or Rockhopper sport. The last mt bike I had was AlpineStars AST300 with 26" Wheels and 3x7 gears. Any ideas would be much appreciated .

#6 ·
Actually, the 2015 Pitch Comp is a 650b hardtail...so it would depend on if he's referring to the FS Pitch that's discontinued now or the brand new one. If he's talking 2015 bikes, the bikes are practically a mirror image parts spec. It really comes down to whether you want 29" wheels or 650b wheels.

#8 ·
AndrwSwitch, nope not at all. 70.5 degree HTA and 80 or 100mm fork depending on size. It's basically your run of the mill, entry-level hardtail. It's been a pretty good seller at our shop, though. People seem to like the wheel size and overall feel of the bike if they're just getting into the sport.

#10 ·
+1 on the wheel size. I tried a Trek 29 too...didnt like it. I'm 5'9", 33 " inseam. My co-worker just went and test rode a 29 too, he's a little taller...maybe 6-feet...He didnt like it either. I think the 650B is the perfect in-between....I dont see it as a compromise, but an improvement over either a 26 or a 29 in most cases

#9 ·
all the new Pitch models are hardtails....I just bought a 15 Pitch sport...I love it...i'm a fat old guy getting back into biking....this thing already lets me do things i couldnt do when i was 20. for my money the sport made better sense than the comp...i think the rockhopper would be a good choice too, but mostly the same animal for a good chunk more $$....just my 2 cents

#12 ·
It is kind of weird that they named this bike the 'Pitch' given they had a 6" FS 26er by that name only a few years ago.

With that said, they are essentially built with the same design intent, priced the same, many of the same components, and IIRC, have the same paint job. The difference being the wheel size. I've tooled around the parking lot on both, and they don't feel much different aside from the minor wheels size difference.

If forced to make a recommendation, I would say that the Pitch may be better for S or M sized riders, and the Rockhopper for L or XL sized folks, but that is in no way etched in stone. Ride 'em both, pick one. Be happy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.