Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Where are the Czar carbon frames made?

3K views 24 replies 15 participants last post by  FireLikeIYA 
#1 ·
Out of curiosity, where are the frames made? One of the big reasons I bought my Flux was because it was American made, which is important to me.

I don't know where the Czar is made, its an honest question and I am not trying to start anything I am just curious. People are excited about new carbon models, and I have to say, if Turner farms out frame production to Asia, I wouldn't see a reason to buy a Turner instead of other Asian made frames that have a similar suspension (Giant comes to mind but I am not trying to compare the suspension or the bikes).

I know not everyone here is from the USA, and I know a lot of people don't care where something is made. I respect a persons right to get what they want, it is just an important factor to me.

Maybe I should have just listed the question as where is the frame made and left it at that, so it doesn't get so far off track, I just figured it would get there anyhow , so I should explain why I ask..

#2 ·
The frames are made overseas.

" I wouldn't see a reason to buy a Turner instead of other Asian made frames that have a similar suspension (Giant comes to mind but I am not trying to compare the suspension or the bikes). "

The fact that you wouldn's see a reason to buy a Turner instead of other Asian made frames tells me that you haven't ridden the Czar. I demoed extensively carbon 29'ers from 5 top manufacturers (Trek, Specialized, Santa Cruz, Giant) and the Czar was in a class of it's own.

I think if you want a carbon frame, you will have to settle for overseas manufacturing. Even the Trek OCLV frames are made overseas now.

Turners aluminum frames are made here in the United States so your problem is solved with the new Flux.

There are some things that other countries do better than us......carbon frames and perhaps cars (although I like Ford).

#25 ·
There are some things that other countries do better than us......carbon frames and perhaps cars (although I like Ford).
Just FYI. The most US built car you can buy is a Toyota Camry. Most Ford cars are 55% US built. The Camry is 77%. Asian manufactured vehicles usually have a reliability rating equivalent to the US brands (which, as noted, US brands are not really built in the US). The vehicles with the highest US parts content are usually the most reliable. If you feel like you are being a loyal American for buying a Ford, the only people you are being loyal to are the shareholders.

#3 ·
I have not ridden a Czar, that's true. Perhaps to have a carbon frame, I'd need to buy an Asian made frame, which is why I bought an aluminum bike!
I'm not knocking Asian made products, in this one area ( bicycle frames) I personally prefer to buy American made. I have no problems with Asian made frames ( I've got a moonlander and a giant tcx), but for a top tier mtb, I just like what I like! I feel as though I have it made with my flux! Great performing, hand built here in America, which I think David Turner values as well in my conversations with him.

Mods, my question was answered, feel free to lock this thread.

#4 ·
You don't know what you want, do you?

American made is important! I own several Asian made bikes!

You can get an American made carbon hardtail for about $5000 (frame only). You can't get American made full suspension carbon, period, as far as I know.

Do you feel the same about televisions or computers?

#5 ·
I should have just left the question "where is it made", my mistake.

Juan , you are right, I have some American Bikes and 2 bikes made elsewhere. I asked the question on where the frame was made because I have had a few conversations with DT, and he said he values American made as much as I do. He pointed out that they use American aluminum, tube bending machines from the old Cannondale factory in Pennsylvania , and on and on. I felt like American made was really important to him, and that meant something to me about him. It certainly played a small part of making the decision to buy a Turner when he was so proud to build them here. So it matters to David, and I ( I don't believe for a second that he was just saying it to sell me a frame). Like I said, I wasn't trying to go down this discussion path, but I opened the can of worms, and now they are out!! Again, I am not knocking frames made anywhere, I just liked that the Turner was made in the USA and was willing to pay a bit extra for it.

#6 ·
I don't look at this as opening a can of worms, this is good discussion. Made in the USA IS important to Dave and the crew. I am sure David looked at every viable option to make a carbon frame here. It probably came down to finding a source that could make a frame at the quality that he demands, at a price that would sell. And he probalby didn't find a source here. So he had to look elsewhere. If you purchase a complete Czar, it is "assembled" here, if that helps................

#7 ·
Very good points. Maybe I just worry in the back of my head because I've just seen too many companies I admired go down the roads from all American, to one model, then all the models are imported. I believe that DT is proud to produce the frames here, but dollars and cents matter. I guess the proof is in what his customers will buy. It seems like there is a lot of chatter about the flux, burner and the czar and they are all coexisting fine!!

#11 ·
I'm hoping he IS making loads of profit on the Czar, that way he can save up all the cash to make the moulds for the next Turner carbon creation. Remember, Turnerbikes is a small production run operation, and carbon moulds cost a lot of money to create upfront. It takes time and sales volumes to get a return on these costs.

#10 ·
Love my Czar. And my Maestro pedals great. I like not owning another Giant since there are 40 on every trail and for good reason. But if my Czar was priced accordingly for being a US made product I would not be riding it. Thank goodness for relatively inexpensive Asian carbon FS 29er frames. I always wonder who the market is for $3000 US-made hardtail frames.

#18 ·
I too want to buy american, as long as it is cheaper than overseas, and better quality, and shinier, and doesn't contribute to obamacare, and dumps excess resin waste in the river, and is made entirely with solar power by vegan guys (and girls) with beards, and is decked out with components hacked out on a CNC machine borrowed from an industrial manufacturer, and has slogans plastered on the side about "err Jerbs!" and "In the Nuge we Trust!". I'm still waiting for someone to step up and pour their life's savings into this. I guarantee I'd buy a frame, until it actually goes on the market and I decide to just buy a trek.

#21 ·
Made in Taiwan for sure,and u can find a little sticker with Chinese "合格“ which means ”QC“ in English under the BB.

For me it has been almost 4 months to wait the frame built in Taiwan then shipped to USA and finally back to China....but it only take 4 hours to fly to Taiwan from mainland....;)

#22 ·
I've hit the age where I've kind of given up on changing the world, and now hope to just survive it.

Sure, it would be cool if DT could make the Czar here, and I'm sure he would if he could, but I'll ride what he builds for a long time, because the Czar is a friggin GINSU KNIFE on the trail, and they actually take care of their customers -- and quickly.

But it does pi$$ me off when I drive by the shop and see the Turner guys' matching Ferraris parked side by side! ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.