Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Nobby Nic Front & Rocket Ron Rear - Am I going to regret doing this?

12K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Procter 
#1 ·
I've just built a new frame up and am trying to get it dialed in. I had a Hans Dampf up front and a Nobby Nic in the rear, but the bike felt a bit sluggish.

I've now moved the NN forward and put a Rocket Ron snakeskin TL on the rear. The total weight savings is over 300 grams. Will this featherweight tire hold up or am I going to be stuck in the woods cursing myself for doing this?

I think the NN is going to work well on the front. If i shred the RR, what other light or middle weight tires, would you recommend for the rear? Thanks in advance for your input.

#2 ·
I may try racing Ralph in the back. I heard it is good fast tire. That's probably my next rear tire.

But if you ride like Brian Lopes, then you better stick with Hans dampf.

Currently I have conti xking rear and NN front, good combo so far. The conti has protection sidewall, snake skin version, well worth it, it is 27.5 x 2.2, 675 gr. RaRa with snake skin is around 550 gr.

#3 ·
Other than the RoRo wearing too fast I have been happy with it in rocky conditions as a rear tire in the SnakeSkin 29 variety. Brakeing traction was a little lacking but good compromise between slower rolling tire and something like an ikon or ralph.

Ran Nobby Nic up front before but just didnt suit no one reason I just prefer the Ardent.

#5 ·
The Nobby Nic doesn't have a good transition. Frightening, actually.

Also, the Rocket Ron is an XC tire. Pure XC.

I'm an XC dude, and that combo doesn't belong on an AM rig. I'd go a Ardent 2.4 front, Nobby Nic rear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.