Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

I hate to make another X vs Y post, but... 2015 Giant Reign vs Intense Tracer T275

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  jlizard43 
#1 ·
These are the two bikes I'm considering. By the time I've got them built up the way I want them, spec'd out pretty much identically, they're the same price. I've considered a number of other bikes, but I'm looking to nail it down to one, so please no additional suggestions! (Yes, I've tried the Mach 6).

I like both bikes (have demoed), and I'm pretty sure I'd be happy on either in terms of climbing and descending performance, but there are some significant geometry differences between these two bikes.
Does anyone have feedback on riding the new Reign (or even new Nomad since it is similar in terms of geometry) on slow speed, pedally, technical rocky terrain? The Intense is closer geometry-wise to what I'm riding now, but if the longer slacker geometry of the Giant isn't going to be a significant liability for rock crawling, I'd lean towards it over the T275.

#3 ·
I demo'd a 2015 Reign on just that. slow, rocky, pedaly terrain. First impression (after hopping off my 25lb hard tail) was, damn this bike is a bit hefty. (33lbs I'd guess?) I'd have no problem taking it to a few park days a year, (at least keeping to the flowier trails) That said, it did really well on the terrain I was in that day, which was basically one giant never-ending rock garden. THis was the multi-green toned bike, I think around the $5000 price-point? So depending on your build I guess it could be lighter, though the weight wasn't ever really an issue, it rock-crawled no problem.

#5 ·
Got the 2015 advanced 1 - same green/yellow bike as the above post. Came off a 2009 stumpjumper fsr with a bunch of upgrades. I also ride a steel 29er hardtail. I was sure I would notice a negative difference with the many super-rocky and twisty slight incline trails I ride in between pointing downhill. I was sure it was going to suck more. Not so...(well, mostly). What I found is that the bike stays put better than the stumpy and the 29er when the rocks try to shove you sideways. It handles that terrain very, very well, but with a caveat - it takes a little bit more focus, body english and upper body strength to change your line and to get started. I thought that would be a detriment, but it is the exact opposite, that more active full body and mind technical climbing is very enjoyable. Extremely! The only downside is the first few revolutions are more difficult, and extremely slow riding the bike wants to lay down, so as a result you go a tiny bit faster and realize the suspension design and slightly larger wheels make going that bit faster easy and enjoyable. Honestly, I'm not much of an uphill guy and that slight incline endless rock garden climb used to be more of a chore. Now, for the first time in my life, I'm passing people. Seriously, I'm passing people on uphills. That said, it's a drag to grind up a fire-road, but no worse than the stumpy. It doesn't hold up next to the steel 29er on the uphill fire-road, but who would expect it to. For the record, I did some upgrades and the bike is about 28lbs.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.