Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

2014 SID 29 RCT3 Solo Air Tuning Help

7K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  G-Choro 
#1 ·
Hey, everyone.

I recently replaced a 2011 Fox F29 with a 2014 SID 29 RCT3 (Solo Air). For the life of me I can't get the SID to feel as good as the FOX. The new fork is harsh and doesn't seem to be keeping the front wheel on the ground, especially when carrying high speed over small roots and rocks. I'm running it fully open and have dropped the air pressure to between 95-100 psi (between 20-25% sag). I weigh 185. At that weight, I can't imagine dropping the air pressure any further and not compromising available travel.

Any tips on setting this fork up? Or is this the nature of the beast?

Thanks!

#5 ·
Well, I've since removed one of the two bottomless tokens and adjusted the air pressure to about 105 psi. Running it open with compression backed off a few clicks from its slowest setting. Rebound is about in the middle.

I set up a series of 2x4s along the sidewalk, riding over them at speed until I could come to what seems to be the best this fork will do.

I'll say I'm still not entirely happy. This thing seems so touchy, with a fine line between mush/good/harsh. The SID is shaping up to be a half-season fork. Probably heading back to Fox.

#8 ·
I've just been looking about for some information on setting up my SID RCT3 and came across this thread.
I'm having exactly the same issues as the OP, the fork feels really harsh, not the velvety smooth fork I was expecting. At the moment I actually prefer the basic Reba forks on my Epic over the fancy RCT3's!

I'll try some of the tips on here and hopefully it'll improve the fork.

#9 ·
I have been able to get it more dialed lately. For me, this helped:

1. Removed one of the bottomless tokens out of the air spring (one remaining in chamber)
2. Running compression lever open, with low speed compression dial backed off 3 clicks from fully on
3. Rebound about 5-6 clicks away from its fastest setting (still playing with this)
4. Air pressure between 105-110 psi

I'm at 185 lbs. You'll need to adjust based on weight. I find the air pressure I'm running gets me about 25% sag. Maybe shoot for that as a starting point.

The other thing I did was set up a series of 2x4s across the sidewalk. I then rode across them at high speed, adjusting after each pass until I got the feel I wanted. Placing the boards 18" to 24" apart did a fairly good job of simulating the trail conditions under which the fork was under-performing.

#11 ·
Not sure what model year of fork you have, but the newer SIDs have volume spacers in the air spring side of the fork. Factory stock on the 100mm models is two spacers. The idea behind them is to alter the spring curve. The more spacers, the faster the curve ramps up. That is, more resistance to bottoming out the further the fork is compressed.

Here is an installation video: RockShox Tech Pills | Pike | Bottomless Tokens - YouTube

Removing spacers does the opposite. My fork has a bit more plush travel before firming up.

#13 ·
This is the best thread I've seen on RTC3 setup so hopefully can kick it up.

I have 3 rides on my SID RTC3. I'm progressing on setting it up. I came from a Marzocchi with too little compression damping but buttery smooth. 162lbs. 95PSI, 25% sag. 5-6 of 13 clicks rebound. 3 clicks from open on compression.

Last nights ride I ran the closed position for whole climb. Stand up pedaling was great. Saw 3/4" travel and didn't feel like it bobed at all.

Downhill was rocky single track. I switched to open and smoothed out nicely. I used about 90% of travel.

I'm getting more brake pulsing than expected. Not sure if there is excessive flex, need to tighten headset or if the rotor has a grabby spot. I'll take it into the shop soon and keep working on it.

#14 ·
I am running the 2013 SID RL 100mm. I still have the 2 bottomless tokens in place. I weight 175 lb in my riding kit.

I was running 25% sag, thinking "less pressure = more supple", since I was getting hammered on repeated small bumps (horse hoof prints in grass over 400 yards of downhill): not fun like I expected! I now think this logic is completely wrong headed.

I found that upping the air pressure to 115 psi to give 15 % sag gives a more supple ride. I think the less sag you run, the higher the remaining volume of air in the fork, so the force ramps up less quickly, like running a high volume shock perhaps. I will try removing one of the tokens and see if that improves it further. I am searching for that supple yet supportive holy grail.

Will post back if I get any improvements.

#15 ·
Bottomless tokens are better suited for heavier guys like me. When I had 100mm travel. I used 3 tokens, with 100psi and I am at 200lbs(now I ride 1 token with 120mm). this makes a good combo for small bump and doesnt bottom out, maybe barely. Under 180lbs I would run 1 token and about 100 psi or less. Think of tokens as a way to run less pressure to get better small bump to mod travel plushness, and ramped up (more support) when reaching full travel as to not bottom out hard due to the reduced air volume which in turn raises air pressure/support. Featherweights should just not use tokens, and run maybe more psi. Or if you want extreme plushness run 4 tokens and literally 60-80psi, but that ia really overkill plushness. Also what are you guys talking about when saying "x number of clicks on compresion..." The RCT just has 3 positions in compression, open-trail-closed. Or are you talking about LSC compresion-clicks?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.