Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Dana Peak 9-18-14?

3K views 38 replies 6 participants last post by  keithrad 
#1 ·
Barring rain, I'm hoping to hit Dana Peak tomorrow, Thursday 9-14, around 9 a.m. If anyone wants to ride with a slow singlespeeder...post up. I'm on a black Voodoo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#8 ·
Trail was great. Good & clean. Talked to a guy, Mike from Georgetown, said there were some trees down on top of Dana Peak...didn't see for my self.

Anyone got a good map of the place? Map My Ride route? Anything. I haven't ridden there regularly in years. I used to come off the fence trail and go off to the "right" at some point, kinda skirt around the lake then up to Dana Peak...completely missed it this go round

#10 ·
May go out there next Tuesday.If I go out there by myself, will I have a decent ride or will I just get lost in a maze. I don't have gps. Maybe I could print armyslowrdr's ride map and try to use that. Not sure how that would work being in it, rather than looking from the outside in... Is there any signage?

#11 ·
@keithrad...
No signs. Trails are pretty well defined, theres side trails everywhere...but the "main trail" is obvious. Do you have a smart phone? If so get the MTB Project App. there's a good "copy" of armyslowrdrs map built into it. Haven't used it yet, but looks good. It's a fun place to ride. You can't really get lost if you're mindful of your bearings (going from Dana to Stillhouse...lake is on your right...coming back it's on your left...etc.). I ride SS, there were sections that were a little burly to me...but it was still fun.

#15 ·
Made it out there this morning around 11:00, right at 100 miles from my house. Had a great ride, just what I have been looking for. A nice long stretch of trail without too much climbing involved. At least the route I took...
I went in at the corner in the road like armyslowrdr's gps map showed and tried to follow his route best I could remember going out closer to the lake. I'm sure I missed some stuff but I ended up with 15.87 miles total out to Stillhouse and back.
Ran across only 1 guy (on a Cannondale) on what I thought was one of the funnest sections of the trail about 3/4 of the way into the ride towards Stillhouse. The trail is cut into the side of a big hill with lots of quick ups and downs, a little rocky and bits of tech. Super fun! I made it to the Stillhouse rec. area and cooled down with some cold shower water, and took a 10 min. break.
On the way back I took a different route at the little lost and found box thing in the middle of the main trail, and took a right. So glad I did, as that section had some super fun long flowy downhill-ish lines that had me making moto sounds all the way back!! BRRAAAPPP! BRRAAAAPPPP!!!AWESOME FUN! And I was done...
I'm so used to the bigger hills on my home rides that are so littered with rocks and are long, steep slogs that take so much energy trying to keep upright and keep from spinning out on the rocks, that after 10-12 miles I am spent. Would love to have Dana Peak closer to home! I will be bringing my wife back in a few weeks. Should be really nice with the cooling temps. Got close to 90 today but not bad overall.

#18 ·
Yeah, best I can remember. I followed this trail till it came to a T at the top of a short steep little climb ( mostly coasted up it with momentum) at the fenced corner of someone's property line, there was a concrete bench on their side. You could go left towards the lake again or right which I took that ultimately led back to the main jeep road, then took another right back to the trailhead at the corner in the road.

#26 ·
I would say that the scenery is similar but there is definitely more climbing and tech at cameron park cause the trails are marked for difficulty at c.p. at d.p there is no trail markers. Some climbing. No technical spots and quite a bit of good flow. Just decent cross country riding imo.

#27 ·
Agreed with Awshucks and I would add, where Cameron is mostly in tree cover, Dana has more exposure. Except for a small section of the trail about 6-7 miles into the ride out to Stillhouse, I think they call it Goat Hill (correct me if I'm wrong), there is less climbing at Dana. Also less Rocky at Dana. It's a good trail to stretch your legs and big ring (if you run one). It was about a 2 and 1/2 hour drive for me but was worth it for something new, and I plan on coming back soon.

#28 ·
"Good flow" sounds fun & a nice change of pace. I think I'll plan on driving down when we get a day in the low 70s, hopefully soon.

I ride an Evil Sovereign hardtail with 1x9...

Is there much threat of punctures at Dana Peak? I currently do not have a pump or carry spare tubes , keeping putting that off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.