Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Al hardtail 29er frame options?

4K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  racebum 
#1 ·
I'm thinking about a new frame and it seems like my niche is a bit short on options. Basically looking for an affordable xc oriented aluminum frame in the vein of the Niner EMD--a standard xc race and general trail frame. I might just get an EMD but I've had one already and something new and different would be nice. I'd prefer to avoid frames with adjustable dropouts. 135 preferred but 142 okay if need be. Fire away...

#5 ·
jenson has the air 9 for 599, or, if you barter with them you can get the emd under 500. i really like the geometry of the niner emd. the short 16.5" seat tube and longer top tube more commonly found on an 18" frame along with short chainstays make it just a great bike. i also like the 73mm BB and tapered headtube.

just finished this one a week ago. had all the parts except the fork and headset on my spare parts shelf

#6 ·
I like the EMD better than the Air. Not a fan of press fit BBs. I have had a few bikes with press fit BBs and they are finicky. Didn't want to get another. I wish my CX bike didn't have one now... the damn thing is fine for 100 miles after servicing it, then you get the clicks.

#8 ·
I suspect I'll end up with another EMD. I had the older version without the tapered HT, but my current fork is tapered so the newer version will work great. I also prefer threaded BBs. I really had no complaints with my previous EMD and as far as I can tell there is nothing else out there that checks the same boxes at a similar price.

#9 ·
EMD is a good frame, and it is a Niner, you can't get any more into the 29" wheel than with a Niner. The frames are also a great price for what you get.

#10 ·
agree with you guys on the press fit. i also have a superfly FS that uses a press fit. had to grease the snot out of it. so far so good but it's just kind of a cheese way to save a few grams. the threaded BB makes so much more sense for long term usage.

you can actually build an SLX, reba, emd for less than the online vendors want for an x7 with a recon.

#12 ·
I have a goblin on the way from a friend. I rode it a couple of times very briefly but remember liking my emd better. That is why I am already looking into options before I have the goblin in hand. It may turn out to be just fine which would be great as I'd like to save my money for a full suspension bike for next spring. We will see.

#15 ·
It's the newer version (black) with the tapered HT. My friend bought it when they first released the second version. I eventually sold my EMD to him when I moved, and now he is moving overseas and I'm trading him a SS for the Goblin. We have serious bike incest happening.

#16 ·
This Aluminium question is interesting. I looked for a steel 29er HT, shortlisted about 3 that were all nice and ended up spotting a Ti bargain (which I love). However, I'd like second cheapo frame and I just don't know what the sweet riding Aluminium 29er frames are. There were some nice riding Alu 26ers (like the Whyte 905). I'm wondering if the Kinesis FF29 is one of those Gems.

#19 ·
The Goblin is more classic to the XC type of 29er, slightly longer chainstays for the stability factor. The EMB, I believe, has 435mm chainstays (?) which is why it would feel more agile or "playful".

I think the front end of the Airborne feels higher because they keep the steerer tube slightly longer than most other brands to give users more ability to custom fit since they are being purchased "blind" without being able to sit on them first. I thought the same thing with both of my Airbornes until I lowered the stem by removing some of the spacers. If you notice there are probably an extra 10mm worth of spacers on the Airborne than your previous bike. If you haven't done so already play around with the stem height and if you want to get it even lower you can reverse the stem so its at a negative rise.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.