Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Help on Gary Fisher Big Sur bike purhcase single sspeed

4K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Hoosier_Gal 
#1 ·
I ran across this bike for sale on our local list and I'm hoping someone can help me determine whether this would be an ok bike for single tracks with a beginning riding. It would replace a walmart bike until we can upgrade around spring.

He wanted $100 but is down to $50. Can someone with a lot more knowledge than me know if it worth the $50?

The owner said it was given to him after the previous owner crashed it. So, it was made into a single speed.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
That bike is certainly capable of being used to ride single track. It is about 20 years old, so if a bunch of parts need replacing it wouldn't be worth it. If it is in serviceable condition I don't think you will get a much better bike for $50. Although sometimes you can trick mountain bikers into a better deal by trading for beer rather than cash. ;)

Single speed bikes are tough for beginners (and everyone else too), so you may need to change the gearing to make it easier to ride up hills. If the beginner rider is easily frustrated by challenges, a single speed may not be the best choice!

#4 ·
If you get that bike and want to ride it off road ,the first thing to change is the gearing . With the chain on the big ring like that you might be pushing more than riding . Move the chain to the middle ring and shorten the chain to start.I run a 32 x 18 gear on my SS. (26 " wheel) There is a SS forum here with tons of info.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.