Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Looking for good bar ends/alternative grips for my MTB

13K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  heybrady 
#1 ·
I recently purchased a Specialized Hardrock MTB (26") as I'm getting into cycling. I do ride on trails frequently but also do a lot of road traveling as well (riding to the trails, the store, etc.).

I've seen lots of different bar end/drop bar/other extensions for the handlebars/grips that make things for comfortable and useful depending on the situation. My grips currently are closed-end, so I'd also like a suggestion of what grips to purchase as well.

All your suggestions are greatly appreciated!

#2 ·
While a few guys still sport the bar ends, they really went out with the hoola-hoop, and for a few solid reasons...
- They add weight
- They hook vines, trees, etc.
- They put your hands in a pretty awkward position for riding, handling, etc. Okay for climbing, I guess.. but terrible for anything other than just cruising along.

My suggestion would be to go without for a while. For anything (!) technical, I keep my hands at the end of the bar. But, on long flats, or long moderate climbs (like FS roads, etc.), I'll put my hands close in - near the stem, or even put my forearms on the bar and pretend I'm on a TT bike ;-)

But, if you're set on finding something...

I've heard from a couple guys with these... ERGON BIKE ERGONOMICS

who swear by them - as much for the comfort of the wider grip.

#6 ·
I like that grip on for road riding and some fireroad. I don't like it that much on single track because what make that grip so awesome on the road riding is the flat part of the grip, it's so damn comfortable and the integrated bar end even better. That said, on the singletrack descend or tech climb I need to reposition the grip for better control, fix position grip does not do well.

Tree hooking is not so much a concern because I ride with wider bars anyways but once even without the bar end I hooked myself at the end of my bar and went down, it's not something you want to remember.:)

#7 ·
Could get some large ones like these https://www.google.com/shopping/pro...7&ei=puLzU_rcOsWZyAT3mIIo&ved=0CP4BEKkrMAk4FA that offer even more hand positions and hook back far enough that catching stuff on trail isn't much of an issue. If anything they protect your hands. Then you could wrap them with squishy, grippy bar tape like road bikes get.
I say if you like em and use em don't care about what people have to say about em.
For grips lock-on odi rogue are my favs.

#8 ·
While bar ends are out of fashion they are still useful in my opinion. As stated above they are best for increased leverage while climbing, they also provide an alternative hand position during long climbs which I really like. I use the stubby straight end or one with a slight bend. You can easily find a very light set that will add mere ounces to your bike. Plus they are really cheap so you can try it and toss them if they don't work for you.

#9 ·
I just switched to ergon gs3 carbon and they are nice and also lightweight. One thing that was a little strange at first was the smooth surface of the bar end compared to rubberized, i got used to it though and now almost prefer it. They make the same one 50 g heavier with rubber grip.

#10 ·
I have tried to not use bar ends and always put them back on after 3-4 rides. They give me another hand position to relieve pressure, opens my chest up, and i can leverage the bar more on the tough mashing portion of a hill. That said, i only use a two finger barend. Short and stubby is my preference and entirely essential for my comfort. I currently have the Ergon GP2 and GS2 on different bikes and like them both. My commuter has some ESI Chunky grips with Titec Micro ends that i took a pipe cutter to and shortened to around 1 1/2-2 finger length.

#12 ·
I like bar ends, I've used them for years. I couldn't care less if they are fashionable or not.

If you are riding off road they are a waste of space, you'll never use them. Riding on road they are good for two reasons. Great for climbing and to give your hands and back a different position on long runs.

I've got long bar ends, Bicycle part Font Bicycle accessory Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Household hardware
like this:

And I've got both the handlebars and the bar ends covered in foam like this:

Line Metal Black Grey Cylinder

It's very cheap on eBay and very comfortable. Totally happy with it.

#14 ·
I have bar ends on my 2013 Marin Rift Zone XC8. It looks funny, but I like the different hand positions and I use them on almost every off road climb. I also use them to hook my fore arms through to get low on the flats and riding against the wind. Nobody I ride with uses them, they are much younger than I am.......

#17 ·
If you have grips you like, you can add something like this (Forté Kor Bar Ends - Bike Handlebars / Grips / Handlebar Tape), which are small and will not get in the way.

If you want new grips, the Ergon with the small end are probably nice. I use the round Ergon's but really wish they made a round grip with bar end, or at least made the end compatible. Since I use my mtb for many uses (kids trailer, errands, leisure, mtb) it would be nice to have that extra hand position for times when I am on the road.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.