Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Which Maxxis Ikon to get? Is Schwalbe Racing Ralph in the running?

5K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  JammerNinerBoxx 
#1 ·
Hello there. I am looking to get some more cush on the front of my 29er hardtail. Am thinking of upgrading from my 2.2 Ikons to the 2.35. Would the non-exo version be robust enough for the front? I weigh about 190 and run tubeless. Also does anyone have any opinions on the Schwalbe Racing Ralph 2.25? Would it be any larger than my current 2.2 Ikons? The Schwalbe tire thread count would be 67 in the snakeskin version, which is what I would use in that brand.

#12 ·
I usually run a Spec. Ground Controll or others with some knobs but not as chunky as a Purgatory. I run the Ikon at 22PSI and I weigh about 175LBS. geared up sometimes a few LBS. more. My front varies but lately a Purgatory now a Butcher. The Butcher is amazing, soft compound sticks to everything including wet roots.I used to run an Ardent 2.4 front but too vague on off camber for me.

#13 ·
Great info. 22 psi is a nice low pressure for a rear tire, I can only get down to 25 psi before the sidewalls get too flexy, I weigh about 5 lbs less than you so 22 psi would be great. I run an Ardent 2.4 EXO up front at 16 psi. What pressure do you run the Butcher? The Ardent is wearing down and I am thinking of the Butcher for my next front tire.

#3 ·
If I was running tubeless...oh wait, I do. I run EXO Ardents. Even if you're looking for the lightest tire you can find, get the EXO. I am of the opinion that the lightest tire you can get (presumably because you'd be racing and want to go fast) won't serve you well in finishing positions if you get a flat. As such, for me the RaRa is right out. My bike came with RaRa's on it, and I put a rock through both of them. The side wall of one, and the tread of the other. I'm talking holes I can put my thumb through. So, get the Ikons in EXO, and roll with it.

#4 ·
I'm with the above.....love my Exo 2.35 Ikon on the front of my SS. Really fast rollling. Pretty predictable. Very stout sidewalls. Good volume tire. Can be run pretty low psi. Will last much longer than the RaRa.

#9 ·
fruitafrank - my current rear tire is a Specialized Purgatory 2.3 Grid 2BR and thinking of switching to an Ikon 2.35 exo. The Spec has great climbing traction but rolls slow. Do you know if the Ikon has good traction climbing when very steep and loose conditions both in and out of the saddle?

#6 ·
Another Maxxis acolyte here. I run an Ardent 2.4 front and Ikon 2.35 rear, both EXO and tubeless. It's been a great all-around combo in the Midwest where you get all kinds of soil types and trails. If I were a little less lazy, I might run an Ikon 2.35 up front on hard-pack in late summer. But I like not having to think about my tires, so I leave the Ardent on the front.

#7 ·
I just got a pair of Maxxis Ikon 2.2's EXO TR last night. upon visual inspection the sidewalls seem slightly beefier and stronger than my Kenda SB8's. The tread seems better/taller/wider and stickier, but they are claimed to have a long life. If that holds true these will probably be a big improvement over the SB8's

#10 ·
Well, I am surprised what the 2.35 Ikon can do for a 680g tire that rolls fast and corners well. I have making a loose chunky dry climb on the Soda Creek trail in Brec. every time , usually I fish tail somewhere on the climb and fail. I run low pressure to bring the side knobs into play. Still the Purgatory has major knobs to dig in with. I think its worth a try. You will like the quick spin up and speed of the Ikon.

#11 ·
Thanks, very helpful info. 680g is light for a tire this size! Just a couple more questions if you don't mind: what tire did you fail that climb on? What pressure do you use for the Ikon, what is your approximate weight and what do you use for a front tire? Thanks again.

#15 ·
I run RaRa 2.35 on my Sir9 SS. Work great a lot of grip, but wear out fast. This race season I switched to maxxis on my Jet RDO. Maxxis Icon 2.2 F and Aspen 2.1 R. fast and awesome grip on front. Wondering if the Maxxis Icon 2.35 would be a better choice on the Sir9. Is the volume of the Icon 2.35 the same as the RaRa 2.35?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.