Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Looking for riders in Northern CT

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Tim Mailloux 
#1 ·
Howdi,

I live in Enfield. wondering if any other riders live nearby and would like to team up for some rides. Most of my rider friends live and ride south of Hartford and I don't always want to drive that far out :). I've been checking out places around a 30-min radius: Bachelor St, Robinson, Soapstone, E. Granby. It's always hit or miss going solo (especially new places). I'm getting out about 2-3 times per week. Anybody interested in joining forces please let me know! I'm 33, but don't really care about that sort of thing.

#3 ·
I live in Tolland and ride Soapstone pretty regularly - there are really two sides of Soapstone, the old stuff by the mountain and some newer stuff that you would have to be shown. How long are your typical rides? I tend to ride without much planning, but I can show you around for sure.

Not sure if its too far, but Bigelow Hollow (Union, CT) is an awesome ride as well.

Oh and of course there's Crandall Park in Tolland - great twisty singletrack, but only about 10 miles of total trails.

#4 ·
Hi Jisch,
Much appreciated... would love a proper tour of Soapstone. I checked it out about a month ago by myself and I gave up after about 6 miles of trails that seemed to get quite a bit of motor traffic. I figured I missed most of the good stuff. Here is the loop i did:
Yellow Red Line Colorfulness Font

My typical rides go 1.5-3 hours,depending on how much time and legs I have. I'd say I'm at an intermediate level. Just got my first FS and I'm all over it.
My schedule is pretty open in the summer (i'm a teacher), so I don't need a lot of notice. Whenever your are willing to show me around, I can probably swing it. I've been getting out a lot in the late afternoons lately. I'll PM you my cel #.
Jose

#6 ·
I lead Central CT NEMBA RAW (ride-after-work) mellow intermediate paced rides on a semi-regular basis, usually in the Manchester-Glastonbury area. We had 15 people show up for the ride last week. If you want to be on my email list for them, message me your name and email address.

#8 ·
Hey thanks Tim! I think have the east side figured out:

Red Line Font Ecoregion Colorfulness

I've only done it clockwise and I have a feeling going counter-clockwise might be even more fun. Is there more stuff inside that loop?

I haven't figured out the west side yet. So my loop is only 8 miles or so.

Would love to be shown the local way! How often do you ride it?

#9 ·
From the GPS track you posted it looks like you hit most of the stuff on the east side. But if your only getting an 8 Mike loop you are probably missing some single track. I usually get in a 10 mile loop there. I would say the typical direction of travel for that route is counter clockwise, but I tend to alternate every ride.

As for the west side of the park, it's really nothing special or even worth the effort in my opinion. I I my head that way when I am trying to link up the east side of Robinson with Provin MT / Metocomet trail to the west. That can be a fun 20 plus mile ride if you know how to out it all together.

Usually I ride Robinson several time a week and I am one of the unofficial trail gnomes. But this summer the humidity in the woods has really been bothering my allergy induced asthma and I have been spending a majority of my time on the road bike. Looking forward to the fall so I can spend time in the woods more comfortably. But I would be more than happy to ride with you sometime this summer as long as we can do it in the morning to avoid the heat and humidity in the woods .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.