Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Panaracer Fire XC Pro - Anyone still using these?

6K views 15 replies 14 participants last post by  upstateSC-rider 
#1 ·
Panaracer Fire XC Pro - Anyone still using these?

Am I the last of a dying breed? I recently went back to using the Fire XC in the rear with a Blue Grove up front. Still works great. Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel Bicycle frame Tire Bicycle wheel rim

See less See more
#2 ·
Every once in a while I'll resurrect a rigid beatr and this tire comes out of the stack. The lugs on these seem the longest lasting I've come across (it's @ 2.2 made in taiwan)

I've seen a much bigger size version of this but never tried it, looked like the side lugs were bigger.. wonder if those have the same tough as nails compound too

#9 ·
I used these for a long time on my old Rocky Mountain element. I believe there was a more expensive version that was made in Japan. Used to be able score them sometimes for a good price on sale from my local Performance Bike shop. Good tire that seemed to wear well. I think I recall they made a lot of noise on pavement, like a swarm of locusts. Maybe I'm imagining that, have not been on them in a long time.

#11 ·
Worst. Tire. EVER!

The tread design wasn't bad, especially for low speed trail cruising, but the x and + shaped siping of the side knobs meant that they folded when really pushed hard at DH speeds = trail surfing at it's finest. I don't think I've ever lost it so badly on a high speed corner in my life. There's a reason its no longer popular... GOOD RIDDANCE!

Have FUN!

G MAN

#12 ·
Yep I wouldn't use them for DH but for trail riding it's still a good tire.... lol

I Noticed recently that IRD is offering it in 650B and 29er.

#13 ·
I received 4 Fire XC Pros a lot time ago from Panaracer in exchange for a defective tire. I wasn't riding my mountain bike as much as I am now, so I've had experience with the Fire XCs in SoCal, SF Bay Area and now in the Seattle area. It works okay in all sorts of terrain, but to echo Gman086's comments, the side knobs are not well supported so you can't corner as hard on these tires as you can with a more modern design.

#14 ·
I replaced Kenda Small Block Eight with Fire XC in the front as the front was sometimes washing out. I still have the small block eight at the back. I had very limited options with the tires available and the Fire XC price was OK so I thought to give it a go. Has been working very well at the local trails no complaints at all. Wet season has just started and it seems to do ok in wet mud. Looking forward to try more modern designs as this one wears out if I can get my hands on them.. The one I bought has been the only one I've ever seen here.

#15 ·
I've used about three of them, two as a pair and the other as a rear with a single ply minion 2.35 on the front. That was actually a pretty good combo, as the minion was actually marginally wider than the fire xc. The former offered great cornering while the latter great climbing and braking traction. They both lasted forever too.

I replaced them with a higher volume, faster rolling combo, as I mostly ride xc and the back of my hardtail could use some extra bump compliance.

If there ever was a panaracer fire size between the small 2.1 xc and monster 2.4 fr I would consider it as a knobby rear.

#16 ·
I think the profile was just too squared off.
I wanted to like them, especially after all of the raving reviews back in the day, but like someone else mentioned...Much better options nowadays.
Maxxis Larsen TT or Schwalbe Racing Ralphs are like glue imo.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.