Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

My head gets hot. Catlike Leaf or iXS Trail RS? Or something else?

4K views 21 replies 15 participants last post by  dirtrider76 
#1 ·
I'm trying to get something with more head coverage than my current helmet (Giro Rift) that's also well ventilated/reasonably cool on a hot day. My head gets crazy hot already and I'm concerned that more coverage=too much warmth.

The catlike leaf or iXS Trail seem like good candidates - do folks have experience/opinions re: either one or have other suggestions?

Thanks!

#2 ·
I just picked up the Catlike Leaf and am enjoying it. My head fits more the Bell helmets then Giro. The Leaf has been great for me in the handful of rides I've done in summer warm (70-80 degree) weather so far. I've not had a chance to ride in much warmer temps yet. Although, I do tend to melt when it gets much above 90.

The helmet is very breathable and wind moves very easily through it. I like the size of the visor. The helmet stays in place and never moves. The last couple of warm rides I did, my buddies were taking their AM helmets off when we would stop and I'd leave mine on...

The fit of the helmet to your head is important so make sure you can try it before making final purchase or be able to easily send it back if there is a fit issue.

Cheers,
Mike

#6 ·
I just picked up the Catlike Leaf and am enjoying it. My head fits more the Bell helmets then Giro. The Leaf has been great for me in the handful of rides I've done in summer warm (70-80 degree) weather so far. I've not had a chance to ride in much warmer temps yet. Although, I do tend to melt when it gets much above 90.

The helmet is very breathable and wind moves very easily through it. I like the size of the visor. The helmet stays in place and never moves. The last couple of warm rides I did, my buddies were taking their AM helmets off when we would stop and I'd leave mine on...

The fit of the helmet to your head is important so make sure you can try it before making final purchase or be able to easily send it back if there is a fit issue.

Cheers,
Mike
Weird, Bell fits me like it is part of my head but my Leaf doesn't fit as well. it seems more oval vs round. I still only wear it because it has good ventilation and looks really cool...

#3 ·
I tried on both before I bought my leaf. I really wanted the IXS but the S/M was too small and the L was too big. They both seem well vented but the IXS has more coverage. Both are very secure but the IXS being rock solid because it's lower in the rear. Try them on as I'm sure one will feel better than the other. IXS needs to bring out a 3rd size.

#5 ·
I've got a large head, around 61cm and previously used the XL/XXL POC Trabec. I liked the helmet but it looked huge, like a mushroom on my head. I recently got the iXS Trail RS in the ML size and it fits perfect. Easily the most comfortable helmet I've worn. It's hasn't gotten too warm here yet but I don't see it being an issue since the helmet has 22 vents.
Besides circumference, the shape of your head plays a lot into how a helmet fits. I'd recommend trying them on in person to make sure fit is good before buying.

This post has been deleted
#9 ·
I have not; hadn't even heard of it in fact. Looks to be somewhat limited in availability in this area at least. It looks like it'd be a solid choice, though.

I ended up really liking what I saw of the Bell Super so at the moment I'm deciding between that and the iXS. The Super looks like it'd be a bit toasty but I am a little concerned about the fit issue of the iXS; I have yet to find one I can try in person.

#13 ·
Just read the review of this helmet on the front page, I am somewhat surprised to hear it does not breathe well.

Was also surprised to read that typical helmets do not always work well in low speed crashes.

#15 ·
Thanks, all. For the record I ended up going with the iXS and am really liking it. Not sure what my head shape is but I ended up going with the large. Tweaked things with the retention system a bit and it fits nicely. It feels a little cooler/better ventilated than my Giro Rift and maybe even a little lighter. I'm liking the fuller coverage and happy overall.

#16 ·
This is weird. Last yeas I tried on the IXS and didn't get a good fit so I went with the Leaf. The Catlike fits well except when I have my light mounted, when I have to tighten it so much it pinches the front of my head. The LBS in town is now carrying IXS so I tried on the Trail RS. I moved the retention system up and the helmet felt great. I went back with my Halo "hat" and riding glasses and everything was great on my bike when in the low DH position. I'm not sure if my head has changed but I bough the M/L in green to match the decals on my new bike. I little more coverage than the Catlike Leaf, and seems very well vented as well.

#17 ·
The IXS Trail RS has so many adjustments it "should" fit almost every head. For me it was a perfect fit from the get go with a few turns of the dial, no further adjustment needed but it's nice that it's there. I really, really like this helmet. For me it's probably the most comfortable helmet ever. Light weight, yes it vents very well and NO wobble at all. It engulfs your head instead of sitting on top of your head if that makes sense.
I also have the green to match my YT Capra comp1.

#20 ·
I was having an issue of my head overheating. Then I took a Cool-dry short sleeve shirt and cut a sleeve off to make a Cool-dry headband. Now my head does not overheat, as the material wicks the sweat away, air moving through the helmet cools the wicked sweat. On a hot day, it can feel like there is an air conditioner in your helmet. I can get Cool-dry shirts @ $4 each at W__mart.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.