Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

On the subject of flats...(cause we need another thread on the matter)

2K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  kjlued 
#1 ·
Pretty positive I'm making the switch from Clipless to flats.

Currently running XT SPD Trails with a claimed weight of 402g. I would like to stay around that weight on flats.

Gimme your cheers or jeers on brands/models to look for. Liking the looks of these Race Face but wouldn't mind a lower price...

#5 ·
I have Diety Decoys on my SS and Canfield Crampon Ultimates on the geared bike.

Both very nice. I prefer the Canfields, but the Dietys are a better bargain at $80 compared to $150 for the Canfields.

My wife runs Diety Decoys on her geared bike and we're getting her some Diety Skyscrapers for her singlespeed...

#6 ·
I have several sets of expensive flats but prefer my much cheaper Fyxation Mesa MP's at 351 grams. Sealed bearings, replaceable pins and such. Best of all they shed rocks. Where I rides you constantly pedal strike rocks! Been running them on two of my bikes for the last 6 months, zero problems. Don't be afraid of the nylon. It's strong and tough more so than alloy. The nylon glides over the rocks instead of sticking.

#11 ·
I ended up going with the Aeffects over the Atlas mostly because the 20gram weight difference wasn't worth the $50 price difference to me. I'm super stoked on the Aeffects. Been riding them with Vans (stick great, but flimsy sole), will be popping for some Five Tens soon I think.

#16 ·
Picking this up because I recently developed a strange muscle pain in the backs of my legs. After talking to a friend of mine who is a colligate cycling coach, he indicated that 15 years of riding clipped in may have taken its toll on my pedaling technique. His recommendation was switch to flats.

The first thing I did was start looking into shoes - I knew my "barefoot" or "minimalist" or whatever you want to call them every day shoes (Merrell Trail Gloves, for the record) wouldn't cut it for mashing on pedals, and research seemed to indicate 5.10 was the way to go. I picked up a pair of Spitfires off Amazon directly from 5.10 for $49 - apparently they're 2012's but my feet don't seem to care.

I looked into pedals, and there were a lot of recommendations out there. A common theme I ran across was this is good, and replaceable pins or spikes is even better. Since I have a set of Xpedo Mountain Force (4?) clipless pedals I've been very impressed with (lighter than XT's, half the price, more durable) I figured I'd see if they had anything to offer that fit the theme of what other people are recommending - and they do, the $79 Spry, 11mm thick and 260g.

The Xpedo's will be going on the bike as soon as they get here, meanwhile, the 5.10's arrived, and I threw a set of cheap (honestly don't know what these things are) alloy flats on that I had bought for my son's old bike when he wore out the stock pedals. They weren't being used because he out grew that bike, and his sister hasn't grown into it yet.

First ride on flats yesterday in 15 years or so, and I managed fairly well. I still remember how to bunny hop without cheating, and was even able to take a small jump without coming off the pedals. I was for sure slower on some climbs, but on the whole, I had every bit as much fun on flats as I did clipless.

#17 ·
Had Wellgo MG-1's and they are nice.
Switched to VP-001's and they are better all around.
Lighter, thinner, better traction, more color choices and better looking (IMO).

Can be bought on ebay for just under $50.

Just make sure you go through and tighten all the pins before using or you will start losing them.

vp-001 pedals | eBay

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.