Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Surly Hurdy Gurdy vs DT RWS Skewer (and does hurdy gurdy really exist)

12K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  dogfuel 
#1 ·
I'd like to use my Fulcrum CX7 wheels on a Single Speed Cross bike with semi horizontal drop outs (like a cross check). I'm having a hard time securing the rear wheel (Std quick release) well enough for bunny hops and rougher stuff. A few questions for those with more knowlage and experience than me...

1. Is the Surly Hurdy Gurdy chain tensioner really in production? It's in the Surly Catalog and on their site, but no one seems to carry them.

2. Will a DT Swiss RWS Skewer do the trick instead - it looks like a standard QR skewer, but apparently is a ratcheting nut.

Thanks - worst case, I can just crank down the standard QR, but would prefer a stronger and simpler solution.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I don't see any reason why it wouldn't help secure the wheel better (the skewer, that is) but you'll probably need a third hand to hold the nut from spinning as you tighten the lever.

I don't believe the Hurdy Gurdy is available yet. Give a shout to the guys at Surly, they're pretty damn helpful, and I'm sure they'll have more info about it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.