Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Need a 10 speed crank for my Tracer 2

708 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  bridgestone14 
#1 ·
So I have an awesome tracer 2 that I started to love after I got used to the bigger bike. I was hoping to take a little weight off of it this year so I was looking at some newer wheels and a carbon 10 speed crank. I bought a great looking Race Face Next crank but the arms hit the chainstays. The nine speed crank I had on there was a race face Dues crankset that rubed the stays a little so I ended up putting an extra 1mm spacer on the bottom bracket to get it spaced out right.
I am not totally opposed to 11 speed other then my wheelset is chris king and they don't have an 11 speed drive shell yet. Has anyone else set up a tracer 10 speed? What crank did you use? Is there a minimum q-factor I need to be looking for or is there something wrong with my rear triangle? I have looked around the forums some, seems like most guys have xt cranksets or sixc's.
thanks for any help.

#4 ·
Looks like the Dues that was on my tracer for the last few years has a 167mm q-factor, and I had to use an extra 1mm spacer to keep it from rubbing the drive side chainstay. Looks like the next sl has a 165 qfactor. The carbon arms might be a little thicker too, which would add to the clearance problem. Mostly I was wondering what you guys use just to make sure that my rear triangle is straight. The drive side chainstay weld looks a touch crooked and it is putting the bottom of the stay about a mm farther out then the top of the stay.
FAQLoad - Q-factors for various cranksets
Looks like shimano runs a slightly wider q-factors on their cranks. I was just hoping to run the next sl bc I like the look and the weight.

#6 ·
Well I like my nine speed drive train well enough, I was just hoping to knock some wieght off of the bike, so I was looking for a carbon crank. The Next sl is the lightest 10 speed crank I could find. Does anyone have a the xtr 985 trail crank on their tracer?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.