Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

NZ South Island: 3 Must Ride Trails/Areas??

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  mkelliher 
#1 ·
Hi! I am currently in Queenstown riding with a buddy, and trying to make travel/riding plans the rest of our trip (March 8 through Mar 14). We're debating a trip from Queenstown, through Wanaka, along the west coast, possibly Nelson, and ending in Christchurch where we fly out. Could you guys help us prioritize areas/trails we should spend time at? Maybe possible driving routes we could take if we decide nelson adds too much drive time?

Our ideas so far:

-Wanaka: Deans Bank? Glendhu Bay? Others?

-Alexandra? It's a bit out of the way, should we bother?

-West coast: Info is scarce. Old Ghost road? Other ideas?

-Nelson: Coppermine? It seems theres plenty of riding here, but the big drive to here may be too far to make it worth it. Is there a trail here that is better than everything else that makes the extra drive worth it? Or is it good enough that we skip most along the way and drive straight from Q-town to nelson (and maybe ferry up to Wellingon?)

-Christchurch: Seems lots of trails, but can't decipher which are best. Is the drive west to Craggieburns worth it?

Non-bike:

-Is it worth stopping at Fox Glacier or Punakaiki along the way to sight see?

Cheers and ride on!

Justin
Bike Recyclery Used Bike Parts FREE SHIPPING over $150 USA

See less See more
#2 ·
Justin, the weather is pretty much always the opposite on either coast so it's prudent to have a plan B for the other side of the alps.
Craigieburn is on Arthur's/Porter's Pass, I haven't ridden it but it's highly rated locally. If you go further north to Lewis Pass you could take in Reefton and Hanmer trails.
Fox Glacier and Punakaiki are nice but there's so much you'll just happen upon anyway I wouldn't bother.
Wairoa Gorge in Nelson is again highly rated but I haven't ridden it.
Ch-Ch port hills a basically 2 rides I do in 2.5hr loops. You'll get a lot more detailed info here...

Vorb: Cycling Posts

#5 ·
When I did queen Charlotte track 4 years ago for the most part I hated it.

I thought it was better suited to a roady that had borrowed a mtb or someone that likes to stop and take photos. But as far as mtbing goes new Zealand has so much better to offer imo.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.