Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

How many patches....

3K views 45 replies 18 participants last post by  mercyNside 
#1 ·
Went on a nice ride with the family today...

The ride was short live when I noticed both my tires losing pressure... Thankfully, I had a patch kit/pump in my camelbac (special thanks to this forum for that.) Upon inspection I had apparently rolled over numerous evil looking thorns that punctured both my tires. I had to place 3 patches on my rear tire and 2 on the front! :madman:.

Being fairly new to the MTB world, how often would you replace/change out a tube? Can you run a tube with multiple patches or should the tube just be replaced? Thanks in advance.

See less See more
#2 ·
I don't think there is a "max" number but practicality comes into play. I drive by Art's Cyclery since I live nearby and buy a pack of 5 tubes for $15. For me, the critical thing is how good of a fix can I put on the tube and for that reason, I carry one fresh tube in my Camelbak along with the repair kit. For a single flat, I'd quickly pull the tube and replace it with the new. The patch kit comes in for cases like yours where you have multiple flats. I prefer to do my tube repair in a controlled environment where I'm not rushed....in my garage.

Now, with that said...if you're in Goathead thorn country, perhaps you should consider going with Stan's NoTubes system and eliminate the issue. That's my next step.

#4 ·
First, carry a couple of spare tubes and replace, rather than patching them on the trail. Be sure you remove the offending objects from the tire or you will flat again almost instantly.

Patch the tubes at home where you can do a better job.

https://mtbtires.com/site2/tech/77-how-to/99-patching-an-inner-tube

I have used tubes with 25-30 patches. Usually will keep patching until the tube is unrepairable.

#9 ·
All it took was one time for me to clean slime out of my tire and rim after getting a nice gash in my tube for me to hate slime tubes. They're ok for small punctures, but get very messy if you get a large hole or gash in them. I suppose the same thing can be said about tubeless being messy, but I've been very happy with my tubeless setup. Tubeless is a great thing for you to consider since it would likely take care of your problem. If you stay with a tubed setup, I would highly recommend getting some tires with a thicker casing.

#10 ·
I got to a max of two patches and keep one fresh one in my pack. Sometimes, I carry two if I am going far into the back country and of course a patch kit. I tried slim tubes before, worked alright, but at tubes costing $4 - $6 each it did not make sense to pay $12 for a slime tube. Anyway, concur, tubeless is best, question is, is the investment of $350+ worth it.

#11 ·
If you patched it and it is holding air I wouldn't worry untill the next flat. You tear a small hole in a tubeless tire you buy a new tire or you can put a patch on the hole install the tube with all the patches on it back in the tire. If you have extra cash go tubeless It does cost more and you might have less problems. I go both ways cus I don't want to throw away a 65$ tire.

#13 ·
They will reseal a thorn just a bit better than slime. As far as a non slimed tube, tubeless hands down. Like I said you if got a few extra bucks go tubeless. $60 for a kit go ghetto tubeless if you like playing, look it up still need to buy supplies. Most thorn resistent tires with a box of tubes, and gallon of slime (from Pep Boy's) will get you thru three kids. Until you want to buy a wheel set that is tubeless ready ,then cost is not a problem. Just saying changing a few tubes with your kids. Priceless

#17 ·
possibility vs. probability

monogod said:
i'd convert all three bikes to tubeless. it's cheap, quick, and easy.
shiggy said:
Just as likely to be costly, prolonged and frustrating.
just as likely? uh.... no. :nono:

granted, the POSSIBILITY of prolonged/frustrating is there, but the PROBABILITY isn't.

split-tube ghetto on the smaller two = about $20 (@$5/tube)
roll of gorilla tape & tubeless stems for the 'dale = about $15 ($12 for 2 stems, $3 for gorilla tape)
1 bottle stan's sealant (more than enough for all three) = about $15

that's about $50 to convert all three bikes to tubeless. not exactly "costly" .

the wheels on the 'dale should convert very easily and setting up split-tube ghetto tubeless on the other two isn't exactly rocket science.

provided OP reads up on how to convert rather than jumping in blind it's highly unlikely the endeavor would be costly, prolonged, or frustrating.

#18 ·
just as likely? uh.... no. :nono:

granted, the POSSIBILITY of prolonged/frustrating is there, but the PROBABILITY isn't.

split-tube ghetto on the smaller two = about $20 (@$5/tube)
roll of gorilla tape & tubeless stems for the 'dale = about $15 ($12 for 2 stems, $3 for gorilla tape)
1 bottle stan's sealant (more than enough for all three) = about $15

that's about $50 to convert all three bikes to tubeless. not exactly "costly" .

the wheels on the 'dale should convert very easily and setting up split-tube ghetto tubeless on the other two isn't exactly rocket science.

provided OP reads up on how to convert rather than jumping in blind it's highly unlikely the endeavor would be costly, prolonged, or frustrating.
Highly probable it will be at least frustrating and time consuming for a newbie. If the OP really does his homework he will find that there is no guaranty of success when trying to use any standard tire and/or rim without inner tubes.

#22 ·
patches ? three is my limit

OR...if I can feel the imbalance on fast road downhills I stop patching

tubeless ? all that everyone is saying --but a pain in the butt--. stick with what you like and are able to afford/do

#24 ·
I don't count patches... but I'm pretty sure I've had more than half a dozen on a tube. The only problem was with one patch kit that was a freebie from a magazine. It must have had some substandard materials, or something, and the patches didn't stick for ever, like they usually do. (talking about old-fashioned patches with "glue" in a tube)

#25 ·
I converted my stock (non tubeless) rims and tires to tubeless over 3 years ago (ghetto conversion). I have had around 2 flats in 3 years, and I ride desert trails in arizona and run over cactus on nearly every ride. Seriously, I used to watch for cactus in the trail and try to avoid it, now I almost aim for it. It is WAY WAY WAY less hassle than running tubes. You just have to put a little more in there every couple of months (use the removable valve core presta stems). I started with Stans sealant, and recently switched to Orange Seal (just to give the competitor a shot), they both work great, but I have had a better experience with Orange seal (does not dry up as fast).

Make the switch to tubeless - your existing wheels and tires will work, just do some searches on ghetto tubeless conversion and/or watch the video's on Stans or Orange seal sites. From a high level, you just take the tire off your rim, take the rim tape off, re-tape with stans or orange seal tape (or gorilla tape for ghetto), then you put in a presta stem, re mount the tire, put in around 3 ounces of sealant directly in the tire, inflate the tire (quickly with an air compressor and the tire needs to be wet with soapy water - watch the videos), and you are done.

Took about $30 for me to do the conversion (the price of 2 tubes), and I have NEVER looked back. I can not even imagine running tubes again.

#26 ·
Shiggy & Monogod

Thank you both for your input on the matter. I'm certainly a "rook" when it comes to the mountain bike world. I'm still getting use to acronyms and the general lingo of the sport. I'm eager to explore and gather as much insight as possible. I now have a general idea of what tubeless tires are and how they work, so thank you. I will continue to investigate and read as much as possible. I'm confident with replacing and or patching my tubes. Tubeless does seems to be a little more complex and or above my skill level as for now. But I definitely won't rule them out for the future. I'm a hands on type of guy and would eventually like to be able to completely break down my bike and put it back together. I really do appreciate you guys and all who have posted on this thread. I would be lost if it wasn't for this forum and it's members. Thanks to all :thumbsup:

#30 ·
I have done both ghetto and stans, spend the extra and use stans it's way better than the ghetto version although the ghetto does work.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

#41 ·
I've lived where these suckers get you frequently and they are a real pain. I tried liners - not much luck. Even here where they are less common, changing from tubes to tubeless has limited my down time. From 2 flats every 3 rides to one in 5 years (a 1cm gash). There's nothing more satisfying than seeing a dozen little slime worms that have sealed holes when you finish a ride. Tubeless rubber, plus slime allows riding at lower pressures with more solid control over rocks etc. It really is easy setting them up and changing to new rubber. There's no comparison in my mind.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.