Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Rockshox Lyric RC2 DH solo air Vs Marzocchi 55 RC3 Ti heavy duty All Mt. build

3K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  ride the biscuit 
#1 · (Edited)
I am going to build up a Giant reign X frame and cannot decide on what fork. I am going back and forth between The Rockshox Lyric RC2 DH vs the Marzocchi 55 RC3 Ti. The marzocchi will cost me about $100 more, though I have read good about them. The last time I had a Marzocchi was a Z1 Bam back in the late 90's early 2000's. I have also heard good about the Rockshox... I havn't had a rockshox since the Judy XC and DH days...I want A durable fork for my build... Pro and cons of both????

#4 ·
I'd do the Marz. Buttery smooth, and super strong. The Lyric is fine, but with all the people that quietly complain about their Rockshox seals wearing quickly, I'd rather go with the 55. Marzocchi has had their problems, yes. But they seem really solid lately. Did I mention that the 55 is buttery smooth?

Lastly, the name Lyric is pretty lame. It just is. Lyric? Why not Songbird, Pastel Sunset, or Ribbon Dancer? It's a petty argument, I know, but if I'm building a beastly bike like a Reign X, I don't want to put a fork on it whose name neuters the whole build.

#6 ·
For the record, I am a pretty big RS fan. However, i have both an '11 55rc3 ti and a '12 66rc3 ti, and I swear by them. I recommend post '10 model year marz forks without reservation.

In addition to smoothness noted, they have so much oil in them...thats what lets them go so long in between service AND gives the smoothness.

I also think the dampers and combined effect of coil + air assist makes it perform better deeper into its travel than anything else i've been on.

Only downside on the rc3 ti forks is they are a lot more tricky to tune as youre getting used to how it all works together, but we can help with advice if you go that route.

I have not ridden recent model year lyric...so this is not a direct comparison

#7 ·
Here is a 55 on the cheap

Save yourself some money and buy this one. 2013 Marzocchi 55 RC3 EVO2 Ti tapered - NEW!!! - Pinkbike

I have had a '12 RC3 Evo Ti and absolutely love it. I found it in 1 1/8 which is perfect because it fits all my bikes and currently have it on my Chameleon.

Anyway, the fork is awesome. I came off a Fox 36 and if felt nothing like the smooth action of the 55. Super easy to work on and change the oil. Its one of those forks that I will never sell.

#8 ·
Super easy to work on and change the oil. Its one of those forks that I will never sell.
I was going to come back in and say there is one other small drawback about servicing, and that is if you want to take the lowers completely off, you need an impact wrench (edit: because damper assembly simply turns with lower nut inside the fork leg if you try with regular socket wrench).

Its easy to swap oil since you simply dump and refill via top caps, and rarely if ever need to get the lowers off (seals seem to last really long due to high oil levels).

But, dusty, have you found a good way around needing an impact wrench to drop the lowers?

I will say after having these forks a while, i really dont see needing to do this much if at all, just will say it was a bit annoying after all my prev Fox and RS fork lowers can be dropped with only a socket wrench

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.