Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

SB66c with a Cane Creek Double Barrel Air?

3K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  Crash-VR 
#1 ·
I just ordered one of the closeout SB66c's from backcountry. I have a CCDBa on my Nomad that I was planning on swapping over.

Does anybody have any experience with this combo? Should I leave the XV can on the shock, or switch out to the lower volume can?

Does anybody have a base tune suggestion? Thanks!

#6 ·
I have the CCDBA on my SB66c and I love it. Since there isn't a tune for it on the Canecreek site I used the base tune from a carbon nomad (similar spring rate curve) and adjusted it from there. After tinkering around with it I wrote my settings down for a couple different trail types. If I can find the book I wrote them in I'll post it up. Oh and regular can is good. Also, I'd highly suggest the shock with the climb switch.

#14 ·
Just priced a CC from the shop. Seems like a pretty good option.

So am I right in my understanding that I would be able to set this up for any bike as long as it is a 8.5x2.5 shock? I'm looking at options and since I hate the idea of sending my shock away for changes this would make the most sense.

I'm really not liking the thought of sending my ctd shock back to fox for dampening changes and then not liking it when it gets back.

#16 ·
Just priced a CC from the shop. Seems like a pretty good option.

So am I right in my understanding that I would be able to set this up for any bike as long as it is a 8.5x2.5 shock? I'm looking at options and since I hate the idea of sending my shock away for changes this would make the most sense.

I'm really not liking the thought of sending my ctd shock back to fox for dampening changes and then not liking it when it gets back.
That is why I got one. I couldn't figure out the proper tune to get with a Vivid air. I want to be able to tune it myself.

#17 ·
I just got my XL SB66c built up with the CCDBa and Pike 150... Seriously the sickest bike I've ever ridden. So poppy and playful. It's stable in the corners and I can stand up and sprint over obstacles. I'm 6'4 and finally found a bike that fits. It feels like 10X's the bike the XL Bronson was with the same travel. I really think it has to do with the fit though. I'm coming of an XL Nomadc with the same rear shock and an RC2 DH Lyric. I think in flat out bump absorption the Nomad takes it. But for fun trail riding the Yeti smokes the Nomad. Just my opinion of course. I was reading a thread recently comparing 3 bikes and the best point was that all the modern suspension designs work pretty well, and that having the correct fit and appropriate geo are probably the most important thing. I couldn't agree more. One things for sure, I'm not thinking about 27.5" wheels at all. I'm actually thanking the lemmings for helping me get this bike so cheap!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.