Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Karate Monkey Fork vs Unit fork: which is softer?

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Hairnet 
#1 ·
Looking at getting a KM. I had a 2012 Unit for a while, and thought the fork(P2?) was too stiff. I have a 26er surly rigid fork on another bike and really like it as it has just the right give to it. Anyone ridden both? I suspect the KM fork would be softer than the Unit fork....

#2 ·
The new disc-only KM fork is a bit more compliant than the old one but I definitely wouldn't call it soft. I have never ridden the Kona fork but I suspect you are right - the old KM fork felt a lot like every other rigid steel fork I've ridden, while the new one feels just a tiny bit better. I wouldn't let it be your only reason to get the KM though - if you are looking for a more compliant rigid fork you will be shopping again before you know it.

#3 ·
FWIW I have a Soul Cycles Dillinger fork on my Unit. It feels solid while climbing but it isn't as harsh as the stock fork. You can see how much the Dillinger tapers down towards the the dropouts and the legs are curved rather than straight like those other forks, so it has a bit of give. I'm a big guy and it feels pretty good under me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.