Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Help Dry Up the "Preston River" on Tiger Mountain - Work Parties Start THIS Saturday!

2K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  mtbty 
#1 ·
Help Dry Up the "Preston River" on Tiger Mountain - Work Parties Start THIS Saturday!

If you've ever ridden Tiger in the spring or fall, you've seen the river that magically appears down segments of the Preston trail. Evergreen is continuing to partner with DNR on the heavy maintenance work needed to try and mitigate that issue, among others (without "dumbing down" the fun, rooty, rocky character of the trail).

Since we only have the seasonal trail closure window for this project, this maintenance work currently takes priority over building new trails (IE we can't finish Silent Swamp until this is done!). This would be a huge step towards getting Tiger open year round.

Please come out and help us knock out the maintenance work on Preston so we can return to finishing Silent Swamp and have it ready for the season opener (not to mention start building more new trails that are in the plans).

Get details and RSVP on the calendar at Evergreen MTB Calendar

#2 ·
In case you didn't get my shameless plug in the "McDonalds" post, here's another one. Evergreen and your mt biking experience is volunteer powered in so many ways. Volunteers not only do the trail work, but the hours count toward grant match and they are vital to winning grants in the future. Only one sign-up on Sat so far. Thanks Zach! Evergreen MTB Calendar. OK, I'll stop for a while :).

#3 ·
I've been wanting to get out to one of these work parties. Looks like there's one on Sat the 21st, so I just signed up!

Work party Sat Dec 21 - more info & sign up

Mike, does it look like we can finish up the remaining sections on Preston this winter? That would blow my mind. We've been wanting to get the water off that trail for 15 years, and the current approach is really working plus making the trail more fun.

#4 ·
Thanks for signing up Juice!

I know the goal is to get the rest of Preston dried up this winter - but of course it all depends on how many folks come out to help. It is not a small amount of work that needs to be done - as you well know.

DNR is going to be tackling part of the work as well, and we're all really excited to make some serious headway on this issue AND get back to building new trails like Silent Swamp.

#5 ·
I know the goal is to get the rest of Preston dried up this winter - but of course it all depends on how many folks come out to help.
Cool, good to hear. The work done the last few years has really made the trail a lot more fun, and drier! It'll be worthy of a party when we finally get the last section of Preston upgraded, it's been a long time in the works.

Justin

#6 ·
maximum radness

Juice, it will be a stretch to get Preston drainage all upgraded with the water flowing OFF the trail and not ALONG IT if the community doesn't get be hide this project. The goal is to push hard to get it all done this winter and I think the community will come in stronger as the winter goes on. But to make it happen we will need 12+ people out at every work party to make it happen. If everyone who regularly rides Tiger picked ONE OR TWO work parties to come to this winter then we would slay this project.

I think we can do it, it's not super glamorous work but the reward of having a dramatically dryer trail and a LONGER TIGER SEASON should be more then enough to get people motivated.

We will also be NARROWING up parts of the trail and guiding parts of the trail back on to ROOTY MASSES that are being totally avoided with the current trail alinement. Then we will add some more rocks in to the trail and to top it off we will add a few flat chicanes in to the trail alignment to spice things up.

So I'd like to say we are smarting up Preston.

Also if Saturdays aren't ever going to work for you or you would like to come out more please EMAIL ME and lets set something up that works for you. Do a some trail work and I'll take you on a tour of the new stuff!
tyler@evergreenmtb.org

#7 ·
Also if Saturdays aren't ever going to work for you or you would like to come out more please EMAIL ME and lets set something up that works for you.
Cool. Anyone else out there have weekday flexibility? I have to work a lot of weekends so a weekday work party before the end of the year would be awesome. Ty, how many people would we need to sign up for a weekday work party to make it worth it for you?

#8 ·
Just a few. Especially if people are coming to me with when they would like to come out.

Planning a work party, meeting with land manager, getting the word out, getting ready for the days task, cleaning up, filling out the paper work afterwards and meeting with land managers again can take as long or longer then the work party it's self.
Thus the reason for a push with less, but bigger work parties. Way more bang for the over all effort! Plus there's a rad comradery when you have 10-20 or 30 people in the woods digging away for a common purpose.

#18 ·
I'm super happy with the interest to ax the river and move on the different things! it's looking like we will have a nice showing this Saturday.
Evergreen MTB Calendar

Just need a few more hands so we can split up in to two groups and really take a big old bit out of the task at hand on Tiger!

Thanks all

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.