Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Dusk to dawn gear ratio for single speed

3K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  aevanlloyd 
#1 ·
Hey everyone, I am going to be riding the Dusk to Dawn race in December. It is my first time doing a 12 hour race. I have ridden the course several times with my 32 x 21 gear ratio. With that gearing everything is super easy to climb but I find myself spinning too much. I'm thinking of going to a 34 x 20 or even a higher gear. However I'm afraid that after six or seven hours, the high gear will really take its toll on my legs. Is it worth it to sacrifice lap speed for the ability to finish the race strong? Any tips?

#4 ·
In my *limited* SS experience, I rode 32 x 18 on a borrowed Surly out there and felt it was good for me. Granted, I did not ride 12 hours. The 20 might be good for the all day session!!

#15 ·
I ride one of each. The 26 has gears and full suspention. 29 is SS hardtail. It's fun to ride the same trail on a totally different bike.

I f you ride a 26 in 32X18 it's similar to a 29 with a 32X19. For your 34 inch ring I'm not sure. The math makes my head explode.

good luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.