Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Does The Brand of a Stem REALLY Matter?

8K views 22 replies 18 participants last post by  rx4mtb 
#1 ·
I've been slowly upgrading parts on my bike, and every now and then I'll look at stems that are on sale, and then I realize aside from a need to explore different lengths and rises (which I don't feel I need to do), it's a part that's not actually going to drastically improve the quality or enjoyment of my ride.

All things being equal, i.e., length, rise, weight, material, etc. does the brand of a stem actually make any difference?

Maybe I'm missing something here... but it seems to me like the stem has to be the most simple part on the bike (aside from maybe the handlebar).

And it seems to me like there isn't really a stem out there that "everybody" uses. Like Thomson for seatposts, or Chris King for headsets.

Or is there some almighty stem out there that is going to make me really think "how did I live without this unbelievably great stem", and I just don't know about it yet?

Thanks!

#4 ·
I used to do a bit of archery. One component of a bow is absolutely the simplest thing you could imagine: a counterweight. Also called a stabilizer, this piece's function was solely to possess mass. That's it.

It amazed me at how brand loyal people were about their stabilizers and how passionately they would argue the benefit of one brand over another.

Stems seem similar to me.

#8 ·
That's about what I suspected...

And I only ask because I am actually interested in exploring other lengths and rise angles, etc. but don't feel like plunking down a bunch of money looking for the one that feels the best.

Yeah, I could bug my LBS to help me, but that seems like even more of a pain. Or is the only way to figure it out to go and have someone experienced take a look at how my current setup fits me?

Of course then so much of it is preference, and hard to judge while sitting on a bike in a showroom.

Simple item, yet drastic implications on ride and comfort.

#6 ·
What matters to me is the way the stem clamps to the steerer and handlebar. Some BRANDS have used funky methods over the years that have not worked as well as desired. But that's all that it matters to me. I usually buy stems on clearance when the company decides to change graphics for the new year (unless it's got a funky design the mfr is changing and wants to clear out).

Handlebars, I choose for fit, and have gone through multiple different brands.

I am particular to a seatpost clamp style, but not to a brand. I have a couple Thomson posts (Elite and Masterpiece) and an Easton post with the same basic clamp style, and all have held the seat rails extremely well for me.

#12 ·
If you say "other things equal, does brand matter?" then of course not. The point is that other things aren't equal. Some stems have weird clamps. I had one with really crappy thread engagement. Etc.

I'm fond of cheap stems, actually. Since I have a choice, I don't see spending more than $15 on a stem to experiment with length. When I buy a more expensive one, usually it's because I'm in a hurry and retail is always there and I already know the length and angle I want.

#14 ·
I just bought a generic one and the reason I bought it is because of the color and it was the cheapest of the lot and most importantly, I want something to attach my handlebar to the fork steerer thingie....

My questions though...

Length: 45mm or 60mm or 80mm?
Angle: 7degrees or 12degrees?
Bolt: 2bolts or 4 bolts?
Material: Steel or Al alloy or Carbon?
Mftr: CNC or forged?

#16 ·
I just bought a generic one and the reason I bought it is because of the color and it was the cheapest of the lot and most importantly, I want something to attach my handlebar to the fork steerer thingie....

My questions though...

Length: 45mm or 60mm or 80mm?
Angle: 7degrees or 12degrees?
Bolt: 2bolts or 4 bolts?
Material: Steel or Al alloy or Carbon?
Mftr: CNC or forged?
A lot depends on your sizing and the size of your bike. I ride now a 50mm stem on my bike, but on the previous one the sweet spot was 100mm. I don't think that the angle makes much difference, specially if you're going on a shorter stem.
Material, depends on the budget, I don't trust carbon on cheap stuff, so if you don't want to spend much go for an alloy.

#23 ·
I have Thomsons on two older bikes. They both have had cracked face plates. After calling them on the first one, they just sent a replacement out. I haven't bothered with the second one yet but I suspect the result will be the same.

My new bike has a different brand, and I just noticed the body has broken at one of the steerer tube screws. They don't deal with customers directly so I've had to go through the dealer instead. So far all I've heard is crickets.

Warranty & customer service my be a bigger factor in stem choice than I thought.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.