Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Inconsistent Lever Feel XT disc brake

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  JMUSuperman 
#1 ·
I have the current generation XT disc brakes. I bought them as a pre bled set up.

The front brake feels fine.

The rear brake has an inconsistent feel to it. When I first use the brake it is fine. But with repeated lever pulls on sustained downhill the lever pull is short and engages early in the lever pull.

Any ideas?

#2 ·
I have a set of M785 with Goodridge braided lines and ice tech rotors and finned pads that do the same thing. The front brake seems to stiffen up just a tiny bit on long downhills - it's barely noticeable. The rear brake seems to do it a little bit more. I recently re-bled the rear brake and got the exact same lever travel and feel as before.

I'm wondering if it's just fluid expansion from the heat. The rear line is about 2x as long and therefore has 2x the fluid and would expand more.

I don't think it's anything to worry about. As long as your pads don't drag the brakes return to their normal feel quickly after the downhill is over.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.