Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Bigelow Hollow State Park / Nipmuck State Forest.

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Jisch 
#1 ·
Rode Bigelow Hollow State Park / Nipmuck State Forest. It's predominately a "hiker's trail", not a lot of true single tracks, good natural rock gardens. Completed the Blue/White Mashapaug Pond View Trail, trail was hike-a-bike for a 1/4 of the trail. Rode a ¼ of the Blue/Orange Ridge Trail. Good picnic areas. Completed 8 miles in 2.5 hours at a leisure pace. Wouldn't go back per se to finish the other trails.

Bigelow Hollow State Park Connecticut Trail Reviews
Bigelow Hollow State Park, Connecticut | EveryTrail
Bigelow Hollow State Park: Woodstock MTB and Reviews
DEEP: Nipmuck State Forest/Bigelow Hollow State Park
Bigelow Hollow State Park - Connecticut Trails | AllTrails.com
Comments and Reviews

Map:
DEEP: Bigelow Hollow State Park/Nipmuck State Forest

Parking:
Turn right onto Bigelow Hollow Rd/CT-171.

#2 ·
There is a very specific route to take at Bigelow. I have a 13 mile loop out there that IMHO is among the best riding in the state. Its highly technical, but 100% rideable - I've cleaned every trail in the loop, but not on one ride - one day I will have the perfect ride.

That said, if you take the wrong trail or even the right trail in the wrong direction, you will be walking or even sometimes dragging your bike over huge boulders. Its challenging terrain for sure that requires you to be on top of your game and its probably best to get a guide the first time around to learn which trails and which direction.

I have taken many people on tours there and few return, I guess that says something. :-D

The third link in the above post is a good trail route - though I usually go around Breakneck rather than looping back on Blue.

#4 ·
Counter clockwise.

Start at the Fisherman's lot - go out to the road, take a left and find the blue on the left - follow it until you get to the white, follow that trail until it drops you (literally) onto the double track - take a right and follow the doubletrack around the end of Breakneck, then follow the blue/white on the left until you pop out into a large clearing with a camp spot. At that point you need to abandon the blue/white and take the road for a bit, at the three way intersection take a right and go up the hill, then down the other side a little bit. Take the blue/orange on the left, large climb, then great descent, follow the blue/orange all the way back to the road. Take a right on the road to the boat launch, then do the Mashapaug loop counter clockwise - 13 miles of goodness.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.