Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Help me find the correct bike shorts?

2K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  Mrtrailblazer330 
#1 ·
Hi, cycling newbie here :p I'll start off with saying if this thread is in the wrong section of the forum please do what you will to move it to the right spot! About 2 weeks ago I purchased my first bike shop bike,(forgot what they say the actual term is) a 2013 Specialized Rockhopper 29er 17.5". I'm 14 years old about 5'4 (and growing fast!) and 130 lbs. WELL, My dad and I put a gel spring saddle we had lying around and after a couple rides it started to feel like it was cutting off circulation to my legs.. So I took it off of there and put the stock specialized saddle on it.. And I'm back to the conclusion THAT IM SITTING ON ROCKS. I can't stand to even mount the darn thing! I of course was told that its tale a while and a lot ass-pain to get used to it, also that everyone rides with bike shorts. Which leads me to the big question.. What bike shorts would y'all recommend I try? I need to stay under the $50 price range. I'd appreciate everyone's recommendations as to what I should try to find out what is right for me. Links, names, pictures what have you. I can try to find them at my LBS or even (dare I say it) anything good and beginner-Ish that I can pick up from sports authority? Or is that a bad idea all around? Well like I said before I am just a newbie. Not mountain biking at all yet. Just riding on the road 4-6 mile rides trying to get all used to it. After my body is a little more shaped up to it I will increase to 10 miles and so on. (Wow I'm so hardcore right? JK LOL) so yea something beginner wise with good padding but not too excessive. Also something that's fairly tight and keeps my manhood from moving around everywhere and feeling like I'm getting a rash like my first ride. But yeah! You guys can take it from here! Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
I have padded underwears from REI that go around $25. They helped with the longer rides, that is 20+ miles. And yes, it takes some getting used to so you could handle the saddle. Also, go to a Specialized dealer and measure your sit bones. You might find that you need a different saddle altogether. You could wear the padded underwear with any short. I picked up a TLD Ace shorts for $65 from the internet, they fit well and have great reviews but didn't ride on the yet. Good luck.

#5 ·
Its not alarming if you just started riding. When you first start your butt is going to be sore and it will "toughen" up. Spend some time in the lbs and see if you can try different saddles. I find the wtb pure v saddle to be very comfortable but I'm 31 and 190lbs.

#7 ·
Thanks for giving me a good saddle to look at! I just looked a the reviews on it and they all say its a really good saddle. I'm now actually thinking about going ahead and getting that. What's your take on it? Is the padding and all good enough to ride without bikeshorts? I will also get my sitbones measured when I go back to my LBS. and I will look at saddles there as well. Thanks again!

#8 ·
The right saddle will make a huge difference. My very first trail ride was in gym shorts and a OEM saddle....OUCH! I now wear Pearl Izumi Quest Shorts and ride a WTB Pure V saddle and can ride for hours without getting sore. You can get those shorts at Amazon for about $30 and the saddle is near the same price. Word of advise on the shorts....they run small. I tried mediums, I'm 5'9" about 170 lbs and have a 32" waist. They were too tight, had to switch to a large and they are perfect. Your butt becomes more conditioned to the saddle over time too but if you've got a saddle that just doesn't work for you no amount of conditioning is going to help a whole lot.

#9 ·
Wow thanks for all the info! I will definitely look into the shorts as well! I'm already Really thinking about getting the pure v saddle. I know my but is supposed to toughen up some but the oem seat is kinda rediculous! And that's what I do right now when I ride!(not mtbing yet) I just wear basket ball shorts LOL but I will definitely look at the shorts too! I probably can only get one thing right this moment, so I will probably get the saddle and then shorts shortly after. Thanks again!

#10 ·
I started out with the stock seat on my Mtb and it was terrible. I persevered with it thinking it was a matter of just toughening up my butt or getting used to being in the saddle again but to no avail. On top of the pain I was going numb down below too. So I went and had my sit bones measured at my local Specialized dealer. They have a 90 day return policy which is great. I tried several different seats but settled on the Specialized Henge. Still a very hard feeling seat but since it 'fits' my sit bones it has been great.

I was wearing good, padded cycle shorts throughout this whole process so IMO the saddle is much more important. Good cycle shorts won't help if you have the wrong saddle.

#12 ·
Check out Chainlove.com. They'll occasionally have bike shorts on sale for a pretty good discount. They're work a little different than normal online dealers if you've never used them (or Steep & Cheap or Whiskey Militia) before. Basically, they'll only have one thing on sale at a time. Once it sells out or time runs out (usually 10-15 minutes), they start selling out. It could be anything from a pair of socks to a full up bike, so not great if you need something specific right away, but items are usually at least 50% off MSRP.

As for the saddle, see if any of your local bike shops will let you test drive a saddle. One of the shops where I live has a bunch of demo saddles they'll let you check out for the day. The best saddle in th world isn't the one with the best reviews, but the one you're most comfortable in and with, which depends as much on your riding style as your anatomy. Also, keep in mind that on the trail you spend a good amount of time out of the saddle, so finding that compromise between comfort and something that's not going to inhibit your movement on the bike is also very important.

#14 ·
I just recently had an issue with my novara shorts and went to a pair of zoics which initially seem far superior. No matter what brand you get I highly recommend getting ones with a removable liner. Not just so you can use the shorts with or without them but so that they move independently. I found that when the shorts start to slide the chamois has to go with them. With the zoics my shorts can slide around a little but the chamois SHOULD stay put

#16 ·
Keep in mind that even with shorts, you get what you pay for (generally). A cheaper chamois is more likely to bunch up, hold moisture, and let the padding compress. I have the REI liners, but try to save those for the spin bike at the gym.

Like someone said above, try to get shorts with a removable liner. That way, you can use the shorts more than once (like on a weekend bike trip), and just use another liner. Also works for the drive home from the trail-just replace liner with undies, and you can wear the shorts home.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.