Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

2013 Giant Defy 3 - decent road bike?

15K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  speedneeder 
#1 ·
I'm looking for a bike to ride on the paved trail near my house when the trails are muddy. The defy 1/2/3 seem like good options, and the LBS has model year discounts of 20%.
Any thoughts or opinions on this appreciated. Other brands/bikes to be considered?
the defy 3 has a carbon fork and sora stuff.

Thanks

#8 ·
Last weekend and this I test road a lot of road bikes! This may have been a mistake, because in the end I decided I needed a carbon frame and ended up with a Tarmac mid compact. I really didn't think I would like it when I got in it, since it is a 'race bike'. I thought I would prefer a roubaix or something, but something about the Tarmac just clicked with me. It's very comfortable except my butt is not used to the seat yet. I tried the allez with 105 stuff and the next version up Tarmac and the entry level was the one I liked best.
I have ridden it twice since the test rides and I really like it on the asphalt. I love the way it handles and any time I look at it I smile :)

#9 ·
I started with a Defy 2 and put 800 miles on it in 2 months, then traded it in and got a Gaint TCR 1 and love it. I put some light Mavic Kysrium SLS wheels on mine, a set of 3T Ergonova bars with the Lizard tape bar wrap and it is perfect. I have almost 2000 miles on my road bike for the year and over 500 on my MTB.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.